1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epifani UL2-115 vs Thunderchild 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Type-55, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Looking for a single cab that would do moderate volume situations. I have an Epifani UL-115 and like it but I'm looking to get a cab that is smaller and do 4 ohm. GB Streamliner 600 would be the amp of choice. Looking for tone and volume comparisons between these 2 cabs only. Love the roundness of the Epi single 15 but the clips of the GB and TC thanks to Ken,
    make me think it would be a great combo. Play fingerstyle only
    everything from Beatles to Surf music to alt/rock.
    All opinions welcome.

2. What about the UL2-112?

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    IMHO, a TC would pair well with the Streamliner, but I have doubts about the Epifani cabs being right. Paging Kjung!

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hello! The Thunderchild112 is a great cab. For the type of music you are playing, and if you are considering a Streamliner, it would be the Baer ML112 for me (with the Streamliner 900 to get some power into that 8ohm cab). The Baer has a nice round low end and a beautiful articulate top end with plenty of upper mid response that matches up with a Streamliner perfectly to my ear (especially with a P Bass).

However, the Streamliner600 and Thunderchild112 will be the smallest box you could get that would pretty much keep up with that nice Epi 115UL... it will be a bit tighter down low, and much smoother/stereo speaker like up top, which might or might not be a good thing.

I'm off to NAMM today, so will be offline until Monday morning.

5. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Is the UL2-115 a sealed cab? I own 2 of them, and don't see a port anywhere. I use one of these cabs with my STM-900 and get great results. I hardly EVER use the pair together, as it would just be overkill.

6. somewhere buried in the Thunderchild thread there was a STL600 user that just couldn't get along with the thunderchild as a pair... My mind is blank on the user though, Steve Rofleca maybe?

His sollution was an empress para-eq. I thinik searching for that piece of kit would get you the info I'm remembering. I think he did a thread about the EQ after recieving it and curing his issue.

From memory the issue was a weird resonance that the limited streamliner EQ couldn't dial out.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

While the Streamliner sounds very nice with the Thunderchild, it will always be 'wide, smooth, pure' and more 'deep and smooth' than punchy. I ended up prefering amps with a bit more present midrange response with my Thunderchild amps. Never could dial in the 'punch' on the gig with that particular combination. Pure IMO there, and given my tone goals, which involve strong low mids, and a somewhat bright 'top of the cone' upper mid response with a bit of grit.

Of course, an external EQ would work also.

That being said, per my post above from a year ago, if a user digs the Streamliner with the EpiUL cabs, he/she would most likely dig it with the Thunderchild, since both will be wide, pure and 'relaxed' in the midrange.

8. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I sold you your second UL-115. Glad to hear to like it.
    I would think 2 of those would be amazing.;) They are front ported, lower right corner, I think. Not a sealed cab.
    I tried both the Streamliner 600 and a LM II with this cab and they were not a good match IMO. LM was better but compared to my Eden WT-405 they were a disappointment. While I had a TC 112 for a short while the Eden sounded very nice with the cab. Just a little too clean for me.