1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epifani UL2-410 or Phil Jones Neo 12B? Help me decide.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jorgemele894, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Epifani UL2-410

58.1%
  2. Phil Jones Neo 12B

41.9%
  1. Fellow TBer:

I decided to take the plunge for a new bass cab, the two finalists are Epifani UL2-410 and Phil Jones Neo 12B. Please help decide which one to buy, I will power the cab with either a Ampeg SVT4 or a EA iamp800. What I want in a cab is articulation, projection and good bass frequency response without mud (I play mostly progressive and hard rock, I do bass solos in my gigs). Let me know your experience with these cabs, if someone has played both I will appreciate a comparative description.

2. I haven't played the new neo 12 Phil.

For the head and the type of music you play, I would also consider the new Bergantino EA410. It's a little tighter, punchier and more mid aggressive than the very open, big and even sounding Epi410UL (II) IMO and IME... and still only around 62 pounds... and smaller than either the Epi or Jones cab. Nice box, especially if you have a head that grinds and grunts a bit.

3. Thanks for your suggestion KJung, I will check the Berg too.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Having just purchased an Epi UL2 2x12, I naturally voted Epi. But, I have no expirience with PJB, so take that with a grain of salt. Also, by your avatar, I assume you play a Ric, and so do I. The EPI compliments the growly mid punch really well. for me.

5. It's a nice box.. articulate, but a little tighter in the lows than the Epi, which helps with a wide voiced head with deep low end like the iAmp, and it also has a bit more mid voicing and what sounds like a lower crossed over tweeter, which is great for adding some growl and grind with a head like your Ampeg. The Epi410UL is wonderful for a more clean pop/funk sort of thing, especially with a clean, even head with a tight low end like the Markbass or Thunderfunk heads to my ear. It's a great sounding cab and will give you lots of booty way down low!

That Phil Jones 12b is a little strange in that it's 6ohms and relatively low SPL.... so not sure about the volume or deep low end capability. I know the normal weight cabs need a LOT of power to really open up and not sound thin (IMO again), but the neo cabs could be different. The 8b looks pretty cool... about the weight of the Epi and Berg, 4ohm, and still looks like it could put out some sound... although not sure if it could keep up with a nice, high SPL 410 like the Berg AE410 or 410UL(II).

6. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    I haven't played either, but just as a side note:

some phil jones amps are prone to overheating, i'd keep watch on that

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Ken meant the Berg AE410.

8. Thanks for the clarification Tony, I went to Bergatinos’s site and notice it was AE. When I first saw Kjung post I thought it was typo or a co-op with Euphonic Audio. :D

9. +1.. I tend to switch those letters around:meh: