1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epifani UL310 - ten years later?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emblymouse, Mar 28, 2015.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Hey

These were the bees knees when they came out. Anybody still using theirs and loving it? How do they stack up in today's market?

2. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I sold mine when the share time got less and less with my Berg CN212. With that said, if I never had the Berg, I would have no problem using that as my go to. The only problem I could see, is if you didn't have full FOH support in a big venue. It was a great sounding box, and quite possibly the easiest shlep of any box in it's size. Amazingly light!

3. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I have mine still and love it.....for rehearsals......but my UL410 always gets the gig

Lethgar likes this.
  4. There are lighter, louder, and more hi fi options now for less money. The whole Neo driver option kind of made a 310 a moot point.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have a UL2-310, I bought it a few years back. I always saw ads in BP and wanted to try one. I finally found one years later and fell in love. I eventually bought myself one and immediately fell in love. It is by far my favourite cabinet, I doubt I will ever sell it. The switched back to ceramic drivers, UL3, shortly after I bought mine.

murphy likes this.
  6. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Thanks for the replies. There is a very recent Limited Edition cab for sale near me at a very good price. This one has neo's w/sig and is spray on finished. 47lbs!
    I am currently running a tube pre into a Demeter Minnie into Acme Flatwound cabs. Awesome when cranked outdoors with or without PA but at lower volume I lose clarity and cut. I would love to hear what a 310 would do. Just gassin' I guess!

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

That would be the UL2 line. I absolutely love mine. I would probably sell my fEARful before I sold my 3x10. At the least, go check it out. If you don't need to be spending money, however, I would recommend NOT checking it out. ;) :D

8. I bought a series 1 several years ago used. Never really bonded with it. VERY Hi-Fi cab.

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Still rocking my UL-310 for most gigs and bust out my UL-610 for really big rooms (like The Fillmore in Silver Spring that I'm playing this Saturday night). Both are my go-to cabs and my other cabs collect dust!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  10. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Too scooped in the mids for me. Tried it live a few times and it was just a bit too muddy but sounded awesome in my studio. I think a fear less with the epifani lows and a mid driver to fill that scooped mid gap would be awesome. I miss those lows though. So much rumble

But it colored the tone so much

11. Missing low-mids, right? But plenty of upper mids and treble? That deep deep bass can be nice but believe it or not my para EQ says it shuts off at 80Hz, with a big bump right at the cutoff. But I just can't get past the missing low 'punch' mids and the very bright, in your face 'snare drum' upper mids. They almost hurt.

12. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I agree & that tweeter diaphragm went pretty easy, no protection on it going by past memory. Sounded awesome in the bedroom though

13. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Thanks for the replies. There is a very recent Limited Edition cab for sale near me at a very good price. This one has neo's w/sig and is spray on finished. 47lbs!
    I am currently running a tube pre into a Demeter Minnie into Acme Flatwound cabs. Awesome when cranked outdoors with or without PA but at lower volume I lose clarity and cut. I would love to hear what a 310 would do. Just gassin' I guess!

14. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    For the right price if you need that tone its a great cab... but new for boutique money, no way in hell

15. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    'Hi-fi' and 'scooped' are indicators this might not be for me. My little tube pre is modelled after the Ampeg fliptop and has no mid control, but man it sounds good. Maybe I need to make some adjustment with settings on board and my fdeck HPF. I've never had this kind of low end available, even in the good 'ol days of 18" folded horn cabs. I can't help but wallow in it!

If'n your in the market for one of these check Craigslist Racine Wi.

16. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    And by scooped, VERY scooped man.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That's the thing that put me off on Epifani cabs. No tweeter protection. Had a couple PS112's. Blew the tweeter on one and could never get it working again. Ended up trading them away. For high priced boutique cabs, you better have tweeter protection on them! SMH!

Tunaman likes this.