Epifani UL310 vs. Accugroove Tri210 vs. EA NL210???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 10, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    FIGHT! :ninja: :D

i'm slowly realizing i'm gonna need a bit more volume for the recent gigs i've been working. and yet, for taxi cab traveling, would like to stay in the easy to carry catagory.

i foolishly sold my Epi UL310, and at this point is tops on my list. lots of gorgeous articulation, and yet the low B was solid and beefy. but, a few gents have said the Tri210 is unbelievably loud for a 2x10, and has a great low end response. also, heard the NL210 kicks out the jams for such a compact wee little box. website says 127dB!! and was really impressed with it when i tried one at (ALL HAIL) BobbyG's shop.

and NO 1x12 suggestions, pleez. at home, they sound fine. but on gig, i have yet to use a 1x12 that really gave me that punch and authority like a 10" loaded cab. *shrug*

at any rate, anyone able to compare the Tri210 with those boxes? sensitivity ratings, specs, and showroom tire kicking are all a couple of things. but i want some realworld gigging experiences. :bassist:
  2. I use Epifani310UL and 410UL cabs. I had a 210UL for a while (I think I might have bought one of the first one's they made, since I was so excited about the weight). I used their 'normal cabs for years. Anyway, the 310 is not that much bigger than the 210 and puts out A LOT more sound. I actually sold my 210 a short while ago. It's a nice 210, but does not put out more sound than other 210's I've owned. I really like the sound of the UL line also.... very crisp and articulate, and very efficient (i.e., lound per watt) than some other cabs.

I've only played out of an Accugroove 112 in a music store... nice cab... warm and punchy, but I did not really like the high end of that cab. Just like my experiences with other 'multi-way' cabs like the older EA's and the Acme's, they sound great somewhat 'muted' to my ear versus a well designed 2 way cab... again, personal taste regarding the crisper sound I'm looking for
  3. Is there a big difference between the Epi 3x10UL and 4x10UL? I have been thinking of getting a Epi 3x10UL or two 2x10UL's. The great thing with 3x10UL is that you only have to carry one cab to a gig. The reason I would like to get two 2x10UL's is that you can use one for small gig's or pair it with a 1x12UL. But the 3x10 weigth is close the 2x10's and two 2x10's would be more coins. I'm not sure which cab(s) to pick!
  4. OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    I recently bought a UL310 having tried it against a Tri210. It must be me but I just didn't like the sound of the Tri210. I didn't think it could handle the very low notes very well but then again trying in a music store is not the best environment. I just love the sound of the UL310 and it is so light.

Now I'm wondering what to get next. a UL112 for the smaller pub gig, a UL115 to boost the bottom end even more or just get another UL310. Trouble is I can only buy one cab.
  5. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I'm in the same boat in that I need a city friendly cab for louder gigs. Have you considered the Schoeder cabs? After all the goo-lobbing going on over these I might have to check one out.
  6. Which amp do you use? You can only use one 3x10 UL alone unless you have a amp the runs down to 2 ohm! I have the Epi 502 amp. Great amp but it only run down the 4 ohm.
  7. To HOU.... I have both a 310UL and 410UL (4 ohms). The sound of the two cabs is very similar, but the 410 REALLY puts out a lot more sound when (and if) you really need it. Given that it's so light (the 410 is only around 57 pounds), if you only need one cab and have a car that the 410 fits in, I'd go with that. The 410 will cover the loudest gig in the largest room without going direct... the 310 is not quite there. If you primirily play smaller gigs at moderate to loud volumes, the 310 is probably plenty.
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I started a thread a while back asking for people's opinions on the Accu Tri210 as a standalone cab. Between posts, PMs, and private e-mails I received, as well as talking to a couple of dealers, the feedback was overwhelmingly similar:

Almost all respondents LOVED the Tri210 solo, but only about 1 in 10 felt it was a good standalone on a gig. Most, however, felt it was great when paired with another Accu cab.

Since I haven't tried it, I feel obligated to only share this feedback since it was overwhelming. YMMV.
  9. OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    I have a rack with a PLX1602 power amp, of which I only use a single channel, so I couls hook another cab up to the other channel. I also use it with an ABM500EVO if I'm feeling lazy.
  10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    A friend on mine sold his T-310 (don't think it was a UL) and got a Schroeder 1210 and 1212 (the 1210 for small to medium gigs and 1212 for larger venues -- he very seldom uses both at the same time). He is very happy with his choices.
  11. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'd also second the Schroeder 1210.

It will have similar midrange articulation as an Epi 310UL, more articulation than an NYC-310, with similar bottom to an NYC 310 (perhaps a smidge less not having done a direct a/b comparison) which I thought was alot thumpier than the UL series. It's also easier to transport than a 310UL. They have similar weights but the 1210's are sized more like a 210 than anything. Having just taken about 6 NYC cabs, I know it would fit easily in the backseat or the trunk of one...

FWIW, they are not crystal clear as Accugroove. If Epifani (which is also more colored) is an option, I think the Schroeders are definitely worth a shot, IMO.
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    anyone more word on the Tri210?

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I'll tell ya, I'm up in the air about an Epi 3x10UL & a AG2x10 myself.

Played them both(unfortunately not back to back) & I love them equally.

I think the AG has the advantage in the mid/tweet dept. Both about same weight/size.

The Epi only has a horn to carry the mids/highs but its drivers sorta make up for it.

The EA is too sterile in certain areas.

A VERY hard call...

14. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I would have to agree. Its all but a tie for me between the epi and accu. If I was going to use the cab as a stand alone cab, I might lean for the epi but........tough call.
  15. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Have you looked at the Talkbass front page review of the Tri210, EA and Epi 2x10?
  16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    All three are excellent cabs, in my book, and much will come down to personal preference. But, if I were to be considering portability (which I think you are), the NL-210 just smokes the other two. It is much more compact and easy to move. And it does get very loud. I would guess that it is just as loud as my Tri 210L, but I have yet to explore the upper volume limits for either (though both have been used - with a second cab - in some pretty high volume settings and performed very well).

Tonally, the Tri 210L is more full sounding, but the EA has better clarity and punch. The NL-210 is actually rather warm sounding for an EA cab, though it is not quite as warm as either Accugroove or ACME.

Again, tonally and volume-wise, I could see any of them fitting the bill, but for ease of transportation, I would go with the EA.

17. Thanks for this info... you are hearing exactly what I hear comparing the UL and NYC 310 (I owned an NYC310 but switched to the UL after I played out of it). I've been agonizing over the Schroeder 1210 but I think you pushed me over the edge, given my love of the 310 (and 410) UL. Thanks.
  18. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Glad to be of GASsistance! :bassist:
  19. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    The Schroeder is the ultimate small cab. I've played some boutique stuff on stores before (just testing out- never on gigs), but it's pretty dang transparent, at least for my tastes. I can't imagine what an AccuGroove would sound like if it's even MORE clear. Plus, I just was messing around with it's tweeter controls the other day, and it's night and DAY when switching in between "Low" and "High". And I mean, like really. Craziness. I can't wait to grab a 21012. I was going to just add a 1212, but I wanna be able to satisfy ANY gig requirement and adding a larger cab will do that for me, while letting me still have my smaller cab for required venues.
  20. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

now, its down to the Epifani or Shroe...

but anyone have any dimensions on the Shroe 1210?