1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epifani UL410 - LMII rig report

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by g4string, Mar 16, 2008.

1. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I finally got to use my UL410 S1 and LMII rig on a gig this weekend. All I can say is WOW!! I have never doubted the capabilities of the UL410.......its a solid great sounding cabinet. However, I have doubted the LMII. I tried one at GC a couple of months ago and afther some thought and research thought, I will give it a try. I used it for a couple of rehearsals...........but we all know rehearsal sound a gig sound is completely different. At the gig...........it was FAT. This amp has some huge bottom end. I had my Lakland 55-94 set with everything nuetral or flat, there might have been a little bass and treble boost. I cant remeber. The LMII had the same thing.......a little treble and bass boost. The VLF and VLE knobs are where the majic is at. A turn of either knob got a nice fingerstyle sound or slap sound. I have other rigs........but due to weight, they are stationary rehearsal rigs. I pieced together this rig for a mobile practice and gig only rig. I wanted something that wasnt ball busting heavy and something that sounded good. If anybody is in the market for uber portable killer sounding rig.............you got to chack out the the Epifani UL410 and LMII rig!!!!!

2. :D My number one all time favorite rig for the funk! That match-up is literally perfect to me if you want clean, tight, quick but still warm and musical.

Congrats and enjoy. It is one of those 'magic' combinations. The fact that it is among the lightest of large, loud, powerful rigs is just a bonus!!!!!

I dig the new 410UL(II) with the F1 also, but the original with the LMII is literally perfect for my 'modern J' tone goals... it makes me giddy!

3. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS
    +1 I am totally with you on that. I use a Series 2 UL-410 and it is killer as well. I now want to get a F1 as another option!!!

4. +1... from the clips you posted a while back, we hear things very similarly and have similar tone goals. The LMII/410UL(II) is a very cool matchup also... it all sounds so good. The (I) just adds a touch more mid growl and grit (which the F1 seems to add to the II to my ear). Pretty cool!!!!!

5. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS
    Thanks, Ken! Now I want the F1 even more!!!!!

6. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I thought about swapping out my S1 drivers for S2 drivers......but after the gig this weekend I think I will keep the S1 drivers in the Epi.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Congratulations!

[Wish mine was as light & portable.]

8. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive been using this combo for a little over a year and a half now. Great combo!

9. That's nice combo.. Try it ones and sounded good.. I'm thinking of getting of those Markbass heads.. But I really like a mute control! Should I wait for the F5000?

10. That 502 you have sounds sweet also. I really dig that head with the 410UL (I) also... I actually like the LMII a bit better than the 502 with the Series II... a little more punch and growl to my ear than the very smooth 502.

I think that F500 will not be in production for a bit, and will probably be quite expensive (since the F1 is quite a bit more expensive than the LMII).

I've never used a mute switch (I use a small tuner and just unplug the cable from the amp and into the tuner at the end of each set, so it's a zero issue to me), but the LMII sounds good enough that I think it's worth working around the lack of a mute control.

I think some of the larger MB heads, like the SA450 have a mute function that is footswitch operated, so that's another option if you dig the sound of the LMII.

11. I really like the 502.. But would like something smallere sometimes since I have the 502 in a rack.. I'm also thinking of waiting for Epifani Picocolo head. It's not as light but still if sounds like the 502 :)

-Christian

12. That little head will be interesting. Not sure when it's due out. I'm not even sure they have a working prototype yet. That PS1000 sure looks cool though, and sells for under $1,000 in the U.S. I might have to take a look at one of those..... hundreds less than the 502 and almost double the power into 4ohms... and 25% less weight.

13. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Nice Jason.
    LMII/410UL S-1 is a lethal combination for sure.
    If the bass/lows get a little too much I find that simply lowering the bass on the LMII does the trick... maybe add a little low-mid then, at least with my mix and basses. You knew that though :)

14. +1.. the frequency centers of the two mid controls line up perfectly with that cab. I run mine pretty much flat, with just a very, very slight engagement of the VPF (8 o'clock.. that's a real sweet spot with that control), and a very slight cut in the upper mids (11 o'clock)... beautiful tone with a J bass set like that.... grindy, punchy, but no gank in the upper mids... nice growl and a big enough low end to put that all important 'pillow' under the band while still hearing every note:bassist:

Like you, in rooms with a boom problem, I can just cut the bass a small amount and boost the low mid a small amout (again, 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock at the most) to just change the nature of the low end enough to punch rather than boom. It's a rare room that is bad enough for me to have to do this!

15. deBont Amps

deBont Amps Commercial User

Apr 10, 2007
    Netherlands
    deBont Amps
    I read here and other posts that there is a noticable difference in between the Epifani UL410 I and II. If you all had to chose, would you pair the Markbass LMII with the series I or II?
    There is a second hand series I available (8ohm). Or should I wait for a new series II, probably get a 4 ohm, which is currently totally sold out in my country...

16. I would wait for the 4ohm version. With a relatively low powered head like the LMII, and a large cab that can take a lot of power like the 410UL, it's best to get all 500 watts into it... it does make a difference, and it kills.

Both the I and II sound very good with the LMII. I personally prefer that matchup with the (I), since it's a touch more mid punchy and a little more grindy up top, but that can be a negative to some. The 410UL(II) is very even and the 4ohm version gets LOUD with the LMII.

17. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Dean,

Did you ever get that Dr. Bass cab??? If so, post a report. Also, let me know when you guys are planning your next GTG.