1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epifani UL410 series 2 or Eden 410 XST?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OrangeSun, Aug 28, 2007.

1. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm upgrading my cab situation. I'm looking to buy one of these two cabs. I play a lot of slap, and I'm running a Eden WT-800B. Which one of these cabs do you guys like? If anyone could tell me what the differences are between these two, i'd much appreciate it.

thanks

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I just spent a little bit of time with the Eden410XST. Smoking sounding cab.

The main difference between the two is about 40 pounds! Quite frankly, the 410ULS2 and the 410XST are not that completely far apart tone-wise. The XST has a little more oomph in the low end, the 410UL has a much nicer tweeter and crossover IMO and IME.... more airy and crisp versus the little bit of honk in the Eden circuit to my ear.

One BIG difference is that I think the 410XST only comes in 8 ohm version. That works great with the WT800, but not so well with mono block heads like the WT550, thunderfunk, Markbass, etc. The Epi410UL comes in 4 or 8 ohm versions. It you are keeping your WT800, then 8 ohm will work fine. Both cabs sound GREAT with that head.

Both great cabs, both relatively evenly voiced, high SPL, and plenty of low end. I find the 410UL one of the best 'slap/funk/pop cabs I've heard and owned. The XST also does that vibe nicely, and much better than the low mid voiced XLT IMO and IME.

Edit: If you like slap style and are weight sensitive, the 410UL (II) 4ohm with the Markbass SD800 is TOTALLY smoking..... 800 watts, and the entire rig with lightweight 2 space rack weighs about 75 pounds!!!! It will knock down a wall, and is about as quick, punchy, and sizzly as you can get. Marcus Miller heaven, if that's your deal.

3. wow, I'm surprised that you (Kjung) say they are quite similar sounding cabs! I can imagine the XST sounding good for slap because IMO it sounded quite flat in comparison to the XLT but with a very deep low end... just lacked those mids that I need to cut through in a live mix situation finger style.

I can imagine a 410XST and a 410XLT would make a killer stack!

From what I've read I always thought the UL410 had a bit of an upper mid hump, or maybe that was the S1 only?

4. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    I haven't tried the epifani cabs, but IMO the eden cabs tend to be a bit too woofy for my taste. They do have a lot of low end, but they lack clarity and the possibility of cutting through the mix easily!
    they are loud stuff tho and I'm sure it won't be a mistake to get them, they just may turn out to be harder to get used to!

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Yes, the S1 was quite upper mid present and growly. The S2 is a little wider and more even in the mids. While it doesn't sound totally the same as the XST, the voicing is at least in the same universe. I prefer the Epifani tweeter by a million miles, and when you then dial in the weight difference, it would obviously be the Epifani all the way for me. But the XST, as you point out, is a very different animal from the 410XLT.

Quite frankly, for those who want an Eden cab, I now typically recommend the 212XLT. That cab is voiced right in between the 410XLT and 410XST... more punch and mid presence than the XST, but not the somewhat over the top low mid push of the 410XLT.

IMO. It's hard to not like an Eden cab with an Eden head, but the 410UL sounds pretty darn good with the WT800 or 550 to my ears.

6. timloudon

timloudon

Jul 10, 2007
    I bought myself a 4ohm Epifani UL4x10. It's fantastic. For me, the wieght issue was a must, as I'm living in a flat with 5 flights of stairs. It's ultra light, as the name implies, and it's very easy to carry.

I play a Marcus 4 string Japanese jazz through an SWR SM500 with the cab, it's got brilliant tone. I can get a nice deep soul sound as well as a punchy rock tone. I think KJung is right when mentioning the Epifani's low register, it does seem to need more of a push to get the real lows, and I think maybe it doesn't project as much as the Eden. I tried the Eden model when looking for a cab, I prefered the Epifani more, but having said that, I did spend longer trying it out.

I can't really give you an equal opinion on both. The epifani is a good choice, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Just try them both, and see which you prefer.

Good Luck.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is how I hear it, as well. I just flat out love that Series 2 UL-410, and it would get my vote, though I have not played them back to back.

8. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The problem for me is that I live in Burlington Vermont, and to try either of these cabs would mean driving a very long distance. As far as I can gather, the nearest epifani dealer is about 5 hours away outside NYC, and while I have spotted the occaisonal Eden cab in a store downtown, theyre always used and never the XST. My bass teacher here uses Epifani, and he has great sound with those, and I have a few friends with Eden cabs, though not the XST. At this point I'm running the my WT800 into a 17 year old peavey cab with a busted horn, so the time has come to upgrade and I've got the money. However, I'm leaning towards the 410 XST because I found a used one for a great price. But theres also an Epi 210, and part of me wants to go 210 + 115. AH! Decisions and GAS and expensive purchases are drivin me crazy!

If anyone has an opinion on running a 210 and a 15 as opposed to a 410, that would also be greatly appreciated.