1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epifani UL502 Problem. Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve Amadeo, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Steve Amadeo

Steve Amadeo

Nov 14, 2005
    Wallasey, UK
    Hi all,

I've had an intermittent problem with my Epifani 502. Occasionally, at start-up, I switch to channel 1 (the amp defaults to channel 2) and unmute the amp. Sometimes there is no signal or very very low level signal which sounds distorted.

If I slap the strings hard causing the input to clip, it forces the signal through and normal signal levels pop back to life. Occasionally, however, the problem will return during performance.

The problem normally occurs on switching the amp on. I think it is something to do with the muting or the channel select switch.

Has anyone here experienced the same problem?

All the best,

Steve

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's usually a symptom that an amp has a dry solder joint. If I'm right, pretty soon the intermittent nature of this problem will go away and you'll just have no sound at all. Is the amp still under warranty? In not, don't despair, it's a pretty easy and cheap fix for a decent tech.

These bad solder joints can come from the factory but that's rare. They're more often the result of bumps and vibrations. This is why I now transport all my amps in shockmount cases.