1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epifani UL502 vs Aguilar AG500 vs EBS HD650

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SummerSoft, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Epi UL502

52.9%
  2. Aggie AG500

20.6%
  3. EBS HD650

7.4%
  4. Glock HeartRock

14.7%
  5. Ampeg SVT-2PRO

14.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    Hi!

Hope I finaly decide what amp to get.
    I'd play it through Epi UL210 and UL115.

I want it to be good for Funk, RnB, Soul, Reggae, some Latin...

I can't choose between these:

Epifani UL502
    Aguilar AG500
    EBS HD650

or maybe even
    Glockenklang HeartRock or
    Ampeg SVT-2PRO all tube

What do you think?
    They are all about same price in Europe, and I don't care about the weight too much.

What are your pro's and con's?

Cheers

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm...

only had limited time w/ the EBS, but i own the other two heads.

the epifani is glossy and rich. hifi and not so textured. its EQ seems to go lower and deeper.

the aguilar is fatter and thicker sounding. EQ gives you a more midrange thickness.

again, i'm just in love w/ two channel amps!

3. Go Epi and keep it in the family.

4. Those are very, very, very different sounding heads with very different size, weights and power specs.

The Heart Rock is a whole different thing than all the others... bigger, heavier, much more powerful Great piece of gear if you need massive wattage and volume and don't mind around 48 pounds in a rack... sounds very good with the EpiUL line.

As I've posted many times before, the EBS650 is a great sounding piece of gear, but is underpowered into a 4ohm cab (or couple of cabs). It's one of the few heads out there that is actually designed to be run at 2 ohms (it only puts out 440 watts into 4, and is three rack space and quite expensive.). If you like the EBS sound (it's great if you like hi fi, crisp and clean), and are using the typical 4 ohm impedance.. then the HD350 is a much better deal (cheaper, smaller, ligher, almost as loud into 4ohms).

Lot's of threads on the Aguilar500.... very tuby and somewhat gritty... much more of a 'rock' voiced head than the EBS or Glock.

I've never had the pleasure of the Epi, but have heard great things... small, loud, clean and punchy.

I would not put the Ampeg in the same league as any of the above IMO and IME.

5. +1 :D

6. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    The Epifani is a beast tone and power-wise. It's rated at 600w, but it feels more like 750. It's also a great match to any Epifani cabs. I use it for rock, funk, and jazz, and it sounds great with each style.

7. [/QUOTE]I would not put the Ampeg in the same league as any of the above IMO and IME.[/QUOTE]

+1!! I have the Epi and have played the Glock and the Aggie...The Epi is definitley the middle ground here...I would add Thunderfunk to your list as well and would highly recommend the Epi with Epi gear!! I have a UL410 and it goes great with the 502! A lot of flexibility and serious pro quality gear!

Peace,

T

8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Go with the crowd on this one. The epifani is great. BTW you mentioned the heart rock, why not the Glockenklang Soul, which would be closer to the other choices you mentioned in terms of power

9. groovastic

groovastic

Jul 8, 2005
    sorry for my ignorance but, is Epi UL502 solid state?
    I never saw it live, but it sure does look like one...

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    yup

11. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    I think that I kinda like tube-like sound. Are there some other amps you'd suggest in stead of Epi UL502 for what I need? About the same power and pricerange.
    And I still want it to be more Funk/Soul/RnB than Rock kind of amp!

Thanks again

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Eden?

13. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    If you're positive you're going to be using the Epifani cabinets with whatever amp you purchase, I would say definitely purchase the Epifani head. If you're wanting a warmer sounding amp (more tube like) I'd say the Aguilar AG500 which you mentioned and the Ashdown ABM series which has not been mentioned. So far, I've owned all three of those amps and I have liked all three for different reasons. I went from an Ashdown ABM 500 to the Aguilar AG500SC because I felt like the Aguilar could still get a warm sound but I liked the cleaner slap sound I got out of it compared to the Ashdown. The Ashdown had a warmer sound, but I compromised a little because I wanted to get as much of a "hi-fi" and warm sound with the same head, the Aguilar brought me closer to that goal. I think I would still be happy with the Ashdown but that's the decision I made and I've been happy. I recently picked up the Epifani PS 600 head and the UL112 cabinet. Since I'm still in the A/B'ing process (Epifani against Aguilar), I'll reserve any judgments or reviews for now other than to say that the Aguilar can have a darker, warmer sound but the Epifani has a great midrange presence and is a little more transparent. The Epifani is certainly not lacking any warmth or "fatness" but I wouldn't characterize it as a warm sound. They're both killer amps and I'm still not decided if I like one more than the other.

However, the bit of advice I can pass along to you with complete confidence is that each one of these amps all sounded much better when paired with their cabinets. For instance, I don't care at all for the AG500 through the Epifani cabinet and I didn't much care for the Ashdown through the Aguilar cabinet. The Epifani may have been a bit of an exception as I think it still sounds pretty good through the Aggie cab, but still I prefer it with the Epifani cab. If you already know you're going to be playing this head through the Epifani UL series cabinets, I think it's a no brainer. The Epifani head is by no means sterile sounding, you can dial in some warmth especially by cutting the mids and boosting the bass and you won't need another amp as far as I'm concerned unless power is going to be an issue.

I voted for the Epifani because of the cabinets you already have but if you had told me you were going to be playing through Aguilar GS cabinets I wouldn't have hesitated to say get the AG500 head. I can't speak much about the other options you listed but that's my .02 on two of your options and a third "warmer" option which you asked about.

Edit: Typo