Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani UL502???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gwreid, Feb 22, 2006.

1. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    Okay guys and gals, I'm being prompted by the forum to communicate in some way because I haven't posted in a number of weeks...

I have an Eden WT600 (Bought it "new old stock" just a few months ago.) which I love the sound of but it runs stereo into two 4 ohms or bridged into 8 ohms. I've been having a problem in deciding what to do about the speaker situation and have received a few pointers from you folk through an earlier post. I currently have Trace 2x10 + 1x15 which are both 8 ohm so it's a bit of a mismatch and even if I go lighter, which I want to, the options are few. So, I might bite the bullet on something like this... An Epifani UL502 feeding a UL210 and a UL115. For you people who have had experience with a gazillion combinations (You know who you are!) how do you think I'll like the UL502 knowing that I really like the Eden WT600? Will it be too uncolored/hifi or is there enough eq to get it into the Eden realm?

Regards. Gerald.

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You could...keep the WT600 and get a Schroeder 1212 Light 8ohm cab.

That should fill the bill.:bassist:

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ok, a couple of things...

FYI, the Eden sound vs. the Epi "amp" sounds are very different. the Eden is warmer, and somewhat furrier. the Epifani is very clear, open, and somewhat woody.

cab wise, while the Eden has a nice dual stereo feature where you can balance the sounds coming out of either the 2x10 or 1x15. the Epifani doesnt. just has one speakon output, where you'd have to daisy chain the cabs. so if you're hearing more of the 1x15 than you'd like, you're out of luck.

4. I think the main issue here is what you describe above... it's only a positive with that amp if you have either two 4 ohm cabs or one 8ohm cab.... he has two 8ohm cabs, which result in a bridged load of 4ohms... a no-no with that head, or low power with each side running at 8ohms in 'stereo'.

I do not have experience with the Epi head, but have heard they are quite different from the Eden sound. If you like the sound of your Eden, those two cabs with a WT550 (or a Thunderfunk550 if you want to go just a touch more 'modern) would be very nice... Eden and TF match up very well IMO with the Epi cabs IMO

5. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I have the Epi 502UL and also a NYC210 and a NYC115 I used together for a while, they sounded great with the 502 and also with my WW Ultra High Power. Linked together into 4 ohms. My B was full and even out door gigs was able to get well above guitars and drums if volume is a concern. :) It's a great combination. I don't use that combo anymore because I have the 410UL, it does any gig I have. The NYC 210 and 115 I selling, just didn't get around to posting yet.
    The 210 on top did sound more promenent but the 115 really filled out the bottom.