Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani Ultra Light Vs. Eden XST

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by salsjag, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Epifani Ultra lights

Has anyone tried the Epifani Ultra Lights specificaly the 2 X 10? At 39 lbs. this would be a real back saver but I was wondering about the sound and performance. I love the regular Epifani's. I would also like to know if anyone has compared the 2 X 10 Ultra Light with the Eden 2 X 10 XST.
    Thank you,

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I have tried both & would definetly hands down go with the Epi(lightweight or regular mags). Epi has a better tweeter/crossover & handles the lows better + it has a clearer, open sound IME.

Have you considered a Bag End 2x10? I have a D10B-D(no tweeter, the BX-D has) & it is the best 2x10 I've used by far IMO.

Best advice, try them all with your bass & amp. One mans treasure is anothers junk...

~S~

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i think what MJ is trying to say is that you're comparing apples to oranges.

the Epi UL's are built for portability and clearly cutting bass tone, while the XST is all about milking your bass' spectrum all the way down to 30hz.

so, its a tradeoff.

do you want the lightness and clarity of the Epi UL? or do you want the Eden's low low low frequency handling??

actually, both of them together would make a formidable setup.

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Munj,

Instead of LOL, what comparisons have you made? It seems like you're partial to Eden anyway(oh well) but they aren't the better cab in this discussion, get over it...

Joker,

I've owned XST's & compared them to my Bag End, at 30Hz the Eden farted(yes they had TONS of power) & the BE had no issues with a low B...

regretfully,
    ~S~

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool!

i've never ever used a Bag End, but the more and more i hear about 'em, the more interested i get.

thx for the heads up, bro.

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Joker,

When are we going back to Nick's to abuse more cabs/pre's?

The BE D10B-D cab I have works beautiful(clear an an Epi but tighter lows).

Off topic: I'm going to Europe shortly for a tour with my main band & won't be around for your NYC gig, see you soon...

~S~

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Salsjag,

I see your located in Brooklyn NYC, why don't you take a trip to Epifani's & try ALL his cabs for yourself? Nick is a very cool guy, call him first...

~S~

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh shoot,

well, we should go soon, so you can check out Nick's new mini Ultralite 500 head!

i wanna go back, get a better mental note of the great tones i heard, and see the look on your face when you fire one up thru the UL cabs. ;)

Sal,

why dont you join us, bro? we'd love to chill with a feller forumite, and have a little blast, like the last time Steve and I hung with the Epi gents.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have had a chance to audition both the Epi T-210UL and the Eden T-210XST at the same store (Low Down Sound) back in the spring. Accordingly, I will try to give you my impressions of both, along with some suggestions.

First off, the Eden. I have played through a number of the XLT series 2x10's and 4x10's in the past, and decided that they were not my cup of tea. While they had a lot of thump, they didn't have much definition from note to note, and darn it, if I move my left hand a half step in one direction or another, I'd like to be able to hear it! Well, most of the time, at least. I did always like (and still own) the 212XLT, though, which to my ears has much better defintion note to note than the 10" XLT series. Believe me when I tell you the T-210XST is a totally different beast from the 210XLT. The low-mid hump was not audibly present, and it was a fairly flat sounding speaker. It did have some good low end to it, and I could definitely tell that it got lower than most 2x10's. However, I really didn't hear a ton of output in the low end, though. All in all, it tied with my 212XLT as my favorite sounding Eden cab.

Now the Epifani. I was blown away by the low weight of this cab. It really floored me. In fact, even before I played through it, I was thinking that it was most likely to go home with me among all the cabs there. As for actually playing through it, it was indeed very impressive. Fairly strong low end (comparable in overall output to the T-210XST, but not as low), and super sweet, natural sounding highs. In fact, the tweeter would be the area where the Epifani really leaves the Eden in its dust. No comparison at all, there. I used to turn my Eden tweets down or off. My Epi's stay at about 75%. No hiss, and very "connected" sounding highs. My one complaint would be that it was not as open or detailed in the upper mids as I would like. It has a great overall mellow vibe (but with sparkly highs), but to me seems to lose some articulation in the upper mids.

I would have a very hard time choosing between these two cabs. The Eden seems like it was a bit more detailed in the extreme low end and in the mids, whereas the Epi had tighter mid-lows and had far superior high end. I get the impression that two T-210XST's would sound killer (they didn't have two for me to try), while I would be tempted to match up the T-210UL with a T-115UL to make up for some weak ("less strong" is a better way to say it) points of the T-210UL.

Now for suggestions falling in the "other" category. I also tried out the Epi T-310 (non-ultra light). It was sonically very similar to the T-210UL, just a good bit louder, somewhat punchier and a bit lower. But still fairly close in overall tone. The T-110UL I tried didn't have anywhere near the low end of the T-210UL or the T-310, but had much, much more detailed and articulate upper mids. The T-112 slayed them all on low end output and low to low mid articulation. However, it was even more shy in the upper mids. Then, I played the T-110UL stacked on top of the T-112. Viola! This combo absolutely slayed any of the single Epi cabs or the T-210XST. I mean, no comparison. Much better definition and articulation throughout the frequency range. Really, no weak points to speak of. And extremely portable, to boot. So, if you are looking for a smaller, more compact rig, the T-110UL/T-112 really is great. The whole is much greater than the sum of the parts in this case.

Another alternative (which I tried out that same day) are the Accugroove cabs. I know that you are concerned about weight, so if the 81.5 lb Whappo, Jr. puts you off, you should still look at the Mini Whappo, which weighs in at 65 lbs, but which I found quite easy to handle. This was, by a big margin, the best sounding single cab in the store (except maybe the Whappo, Jr.). The only thing that came close was the T-110UL/T-112 combo. Ultimately, I spent well over an hour and a half just A/B-ing the T-110UL/T-112 to the Mini Whappo. I brought along my passive 4-string, and my active 5-string, and kept switching back and forth. The Mini Whappo did the best job I have ever heard (and I've heard a lot of cabs) of making each instrument sound unique. Talk about uncolored! Surprisingly, the Epi combo really kept up in overall balance, output, and articulation. And while the Epi's were "colored" in comparison to the Accugroove, it was what I would call a "mild coloration."

So, I guess I sort of split on my recommendations concerning the T-210UL and the T-210XST, but at any rate, I would also heavily recommend that if you want something similar in size to a 2x10, consider either the T-110UL/T-112 combo or perhaps the Mini Whappo.

Hope this helps, Tom.

11. Epifani 2 x 10 UL vs. Eden 2 x 10 XST

Tom,

Thank you so much for your detailed comparision. It has given me a lot of information based on actual usage and I will try the T-110 / T112 combo.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    :D

Happy to share!

Tom.

13. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Awesome posting, Tom.

So the 12's get better lows than the 2x10 or 3x10, despite what the ratings claim (always taken with a grain of salt)? Interesting.

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The T-112 definitely goes deeper, and has more output on the low B than the T-210 or T-310 - at least to my ears, it did. The T-310 definitely had more output on an E string, though. However, the T-112/T-110UL really blew the T-310 away in terms of tonal balance, and articulation, and the output seemed to be a bit better as well.

Tom.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

not to intrude, cause Tom's postings are A-1, but 12" speakers to me sound spongier and deeper, while 10" on the whole sound punchier and more inyourface.

and IME, with enough EQ, a cab with 10" speakers can go pretty low as well. i use my 3x10UL with my 5 strings and NO lack of bottom end here. focused and projecting for medium to loud apps.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Why you little!!!! :mad:

Just kidding. :p Yes, 10"s typically have more definition to them. Which is one reason why I like combining 10's and 12's. From what my ears were telling me, the T-112/T-110UL had better articulation and punch, while at the same time covering more frequency range, than the T-310. I think a lot had to do with the T-110UL being a very snappy little cab. But, it lacked big time low end, particularly on the low B, which is where the T-112 really helps out. The T-310 is a great sounding cab, and presents a very punchy, cohesive sound. However, it seemed a bit truncated on both the highs and the lows compared to the T-112/T-110UL combo.

And yes, EQ can do a lot. However, I find myself getting away from using EQ in favor of finding gear that works for me set fairly flat.

But listen to Joker. He knows what he is saying...

Later, Tom.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    naah,

listen to tom. he's got more cabs than i have socks. :p :D

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You have socks! I've heard about those...

;)

19. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Thanks for the great postings again. Really helps. I'm still deciding between:

Epifani T-112 + ? (T-110?) or T-212

* Pros: Modularity, sweet across the freq. range
    * Cons: $, only got to try T-310UL, and T-112.

Tom, I totally agree with your assessments. T-310 awesome, lacked a little on low-end mojo.

Eden 210 XST

* Pros: Flat for Eden, great lows
    * Cons: No super-portable, tweeter; only got to try the Eden 410 XST (nice..)

Accugroove Tri 112

* Pros: Best of both worlds??
    * Cons: Never tried!

Any other advice or comments would help. I've read all about the Tri 112 here. Sounds good on paper, but so have other cabs I didn't end up digging.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Those are all some good choices, there. FWIW, when I bought my T-112/T-110UL combo, I was stuck between the Epis and the Accugroove Mini Whappo. Surprisingly, the Epis versus the Accugroove was a very close match in overall volume and frequency range balance. The Accugroove was most definitely more uncolored, and made each instrument sound unique. The Epi's tended to keep their own sound (which is a very nice sound) no matter what instrument I played through them. Ultimately, I thought that the Mini Whappo had the edge sound-wise, but I was really looking for two smaller cabs for flexibilty/portability reasons.

While I didn't get a chance to listen to a Tri 112, I did get to hear the Tri 208 and Whappo, Jr., in addition to the Mini Whappo. If you can afford them, I would heavily consider placing any of the Accugrooves on your short list. The Whappo, Jr. seemed especially impressive to me.

Tom.