Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani Ultralight Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slot, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    This has just been posted on their site. Brett from epi told me in an email reply that it was due to be released in early 2004

Looks sweet - i just hope its not too 'hi-fi'ish
    [​IMG]

Does anyone have anymore info or goss on this thing?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup,

and it sounds DANG good, too. i visited the shop this past August and had a chance to run thru the 500 watt prototype w/ my 3x10 UL, and i loved it. like a cross between an EA iAMP & Mesa Walkabout.

tonally, nothing muddy or woolly about it. it's hifi, clear, very articulate, but also strangely warm, despite lacking a preamp tube. literally has that tonal "glow". kinda like my Acoustic Image Clarus and Sansamp Bass DI is warm and kinda furry. warmer than the iAMP350 i had. but still, not nearly as muddie or growly sounding as an Eden WT400 i owned.

but what struck me the most was how freakishly punchie and authoritative it sounded thru my 3x10. the EQ just seemed to give me that chest pounding "umph" that my Kern could only dream.

Nick mentioned that he worked with and spoke to many of his endorsers to find the right balance and frequencies of the EQ section, and the fruits of his labor are very much there.

Nick's also developing a footswitch to go along with it: switches between two separate discreet channels for solo/rhythm mode ala many electric guitar amps, a mute/tuner option, and a button to flick on the built in "limiter", which tho i dont personally use, could see how it'd be handy for guys with compressors in their rigs.

i didnt have a chance to go back and hear the newer prototype, which my buds tell me is the shizz, but last i was there, he was debating as to whether adding a brite switch or brite frequecy selector. i suggested a brite frequency selector, cause that would make a nice depth to the tweaking. heck, if you need more brite just turn it up more.

needless to say, the little 15 lbs. box is a great companion to any Epifani cab. i used it with the 4x10 regular & UL, the 2x15 UL, my 3x10 UL, and a regular one, and they all sounded great. i just hope that the release date is for real this time, cause i too am getting a little wary of the constant delays... :meh:

funny, but i totally forgot i had these random pics of that day. looking on the date stamp, prolly had it in my day bag from the beach trip that week. sorry for the blurry photography. :(

the man himself tweaking the knobs for me.
    [​IMG]

to give you an idea of the size, you can see my Kern/Stewart rack in this pic.

the demo area

the rear panel, where you can see it thankfully only does speakon connections.

an early design prototype housing

just for kicks, my ultralite 3x10 on the scale, showing a weight of 50 lbs. :p

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Any word on the Epi preamps that were supposed to be released years ago?

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    This is what I'm waiting for....with baited breath. I'm figuring winter NAMM time. Which would work out with tax return time. Yeah!

5. What are the power ratings on these supposed to be?

Geoff

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Nick's making a 500 watter and 900 watter. but i heard that the 900 might be in a rack mount.

also, later, Nick's supposed to release a tube driven preamp version.

7. Looks like I'll need a new amp soon.:D
    The head is really small!!! I love these little boxes with a lot of power.Our backs too!!!

larry

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Awesome! Though I won't get rid of my iAMP, those heads look wicked. Frig, I want an Epi 3x10 so bad! I don't need it. I don't need it....

9. Ha, I would like a 310 too. I played a 410 last week, a UL and a regular one and wow. They were sweet. I think I would go with a 310 regular type of a nice small rock rig. Maybe that and a 500. Oh well, I need to get my iAmp 800 before any of this happens.

Also, thanks for the info Joker.

Geoff

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Damn you, Joker! I have an iAMP 800, a Walkabout, AND a rack rig, but now you (and Nick) have somehow given me GAS again!!!

;)

Tom.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Wow, is that two real channels...independent inputs and EQ? Right now, only Walter Woods still sells amps like that. As a URB/EBG doubler, I'd love to see more makers offer that feature as I got really sick of using A/B boxes.

12. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Any Idea what the price will be for the 500 watter?

13. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    Looks nice, although a little porta-bassish!
    What the price?

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    serves you right! :spit:

every time i look at your avatar, i start thinkin' about EA gear. :D

yea, i loved that feature, too!

the upper just had the usual treb, mid, bass setup, while the lower EQ has a second "lower mids" control. and the footswitch let you silently go from one channel to the other.

i loved setting it up for a "lead" tone, tho i'm sure i'd never really have a "solo" spot in my rock bands. :meh: but i could see how for alot of the fusionists that Nick works with, it'd be such a boon.

as for pricing, i'm sure it'd be comparable to what's already out there with other current production heads.

but i'd just email Nick first, and see wassup.

15. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Jeez Louise, I want one o' these!

Joker, in the demo area photo, what kind of a bass is that?

16. Looks like a Lakland to me.

Geoff

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup,

its an old sunburst Lakland 4 string tho, Nick's been trying to get a "demo" Fodera in his shop.

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Joker, did you get the new Epifani amp yet?

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nope. :(

but soon... oh soooooo soon...

20. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

How soon Joker? I might want to pick up a 900 when they become available.