Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

epifani users.......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    What head/ preamp are you using?

I am running a swr sm400s. currently in a love hate relationship. :help:

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm... which day is it? monday? then usually its the Kern. ;)

but seriously, what's with the SWR that you're not digging the sound?

3. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I'm using an Alembic F1X and SF2 with a Peavey DPC 1400X. Soon to be upgrading to an Avalon U5 and a Furman PQ3. Cabs are wither a pair of Epi 112's or an Epi 212.

Pretty sweet sounding. PLenty louw with 1400W of headroom.

More articulate and truer than an Eden 410XLT that is availabale as a backup. I'll let you know how the U5 and SF2 or PQ3 sound. My F1X is a little sick. (Bad volume pot)

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Aguilar DB680 preamp, Stewart World 2.1 power amp, new Epifani Ultralight 4x10. Smooth, rich tone. Very flexible rig.

jd

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey mario,

just got my Avalon U5, and it simply rocks thru all my cabs. with my Epifani 3x10UL, its just unreal.

i used to think the Kern IP-777 sounded the best with Epifani cabs, going for that dark meets hifi, "yingyang" theory. but i'm realizing, i'm becoming more of a hifi transparent kinda guy, and the U5 delivers that in spades.

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    its not a tone thing per se. heres the scoop. i was in a local shaop here on saturday and these guys were playing on some dumble and bogner guiotar amps. i made the comment about the 3k price tag and a guy said, "dude its your tone, how do you put a price on your tone?" that got me thinking. if i would have just saved and got what i wanted on the front end i would have saved alot of money. i add a PA sub to my rig when i want BOOM at higher volume. so i am only giving each cab about 250 watts. thinking it might be time to upgrade to a pre power set up.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have used a variety of heads/amps with my Epi T-112's and T-110UL. For low volume settings, I love the tone that I get with my Walkabout, which is really underpowering them, but seems to work. To get them to really throw their sound out to a larger venue, and to keep the bass nice and tight, I use them with my rack rig, which is an Eden Navigator into a PLX 3002. Sure, the 3,000w into 4 ohm is overkill, but the headroom is great! A less powerful PLX series amp would sound very similar, I would suspect.

Tom.

8. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    The head is much more neutral sounding than any Eden or SWR I've tried. As a matter of fact I'm going to be selling a friend's SWR SM900 for him and I'll tell you right now, the Sunn eats it for lunch tonewise,,,,,again, just my opinion. Volumewise I'd say the SWR on Bridge mono is louder than the Sunn, but even with both channels 3 band parametrics working simultaneously, I can't dial in a tone I like. Others swear by this head....I only swear at it but agreed to sell it for him.

There ain't nothin' sweeter sounding than the 1200S head, with a 31 band eq to kinda further mellow out the mids slightly and my epifani 212 (old shape). Now that I've added a G&L Tribute bass to my more expensive axes, I've got just an unbelievable mix of lows, punch, controlled mids, and high's + sheer volume and oomph in one cabinet. As soon as Nick Epifani has the Neo 12's he wants, I'm gonna try 'em which should make the cabinet weigh in slightly less than 60 pounds. You can't beat it for weight vs volume and tone at a used price in the mid 600's with anything else I'm aware of.

LKaye

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Tonal bliss thus far!

More to come in about a week or so... I promise!
    :bassist:

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Walter Woods Ultra with my T212 (older style) or T310. Clean and punchy. Great warmth. Perfect match, IMO.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    AMP BH420 or BH260, Walter Woods MI-225-8 or ElectroAcoustic HiPower. Maybe I'm deaf but they all sound fine and I don't fiind any need for over 500 watts (I don't do slap/pop, though).

12. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    EA iAMP 350 for smaller gigs, F1-x/Stewart 1.2 for larger stuff.

Both into a T212. The EA sounds better, more clear and less fuzzy, but the alembic is better for some sounds.

13. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I run an Ashdown ABM 500RC EVO into my 112s. To quote Big Joe, I have found my "tonal bliss." :)

14. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Jason,

Off topic: What kind of bass is that in your photo?

JD

15. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    JD,

That is my FBB custom (#1065-02.)

16. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Matt's stuff gets better and better!

And to John Burnet (the original poster), I'd also recommend you getting some more power to make those babies really sing! ;) :smug:

17. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    see thats what i'm thinkin.... slap asround a kilowatt into it..... maybe an f1x... what circuit is the f1x based on?

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, i know how you feel. when i first started playing bass, i looked around and noticed that while i had Alessandro and Fuchs guitar amps, i also had a Peavey combo for bass. so, i promptly took the high end road. :p

but hey, why not give Walter Woods a call? tons of power in a little package, and does that SWR thing to hifi extremes.

if not that, then take the all tube road with a DB680/728 setup. sounds unreal with Epifani cabs.

or you could do what i'm doing as outlined above.

but whichever power amp you choose, i say Stewart or QSC's PLX. lightweight, powerful.

go ahead and listen to www.basstasters.com and see which preamp would sound best for your sound.

the point is, whatever you put in, the Epifani's will make it sound 10x better. ;)

19. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    yeah. i think i am gonna go with an rmx though. same sound, little heavier. trying to descide on a pre and if i wanna go through with it.

20. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    How are you using your U5? As your only pre? I plan on using an Alembic SF2 with mine and I have a Furman PQ3 on the way that I want to try out as well.

Everyone that I know if that has tried it as a pre say that the strenght, true-ness, and purity of the tone from the U5 is to die for, however they always want some control over the tone aside from the 6 presets or in by pass. For me, my Alembic stays at 12:00, Bass, full on mids and 12:00 treble. I adjust my tone with the on-board pre on my Smith 6. In addition, I've gone passive with the Smith and LOVED the sound. I'm thinking that the Avalon is going to be a very useful tool that will probably become my mainstay.