Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani Utralight VS. Regular

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Is there any tonal difference that is that noticeable. I was thinking about the 3-10UL. 45lbs sounds alot better than 75lbs!

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    the UL has a little more mid to it verse the regular. I think the regular has a little more thinkness. However, if you had the cab in different rooms and not side by side it would be tuff to tell them apart.

They both sound killer!

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  4. I would go for the UL every time. The weight factor for me is the main issue. I only have a single 1x10UL at the moment but I notice the weight saving even on a 1x10.

As for sound I have been really impressed with the UL and remember, if you are playing a pub or club, after the crowd have sunk a few beers will they really notice the subtle tonal differences which you might notice if doing a side by side demo with no other band members playing.

Regards

Matthew

5. Epifani Ultralights

Not much I can add to the great reviews except this. I just bought a 2X10 UL at Bass Central and after a few days of A/B comparisions I learned two things. One, yes if you put an Ultralight right next to a NYC regular you can hear a slight difference in the mids. However, if you put the speakers 50'feet apart and then alternated playing between them you will be VERY hard pressed to hear a noticable difference. If you were to play along with a guitar or drummer, good luck in hearing any difference. Secondly, and more importantly(IMO) my back knew the difference each and every single comparision.

6. I A/B'ed an Epifani 410UL with a regular 410. I have to agree with Brian. The UL certainly had a more aggressive midrange whereas the regular 410 had a thicker low end. The weight difference was remarkable to say the least. I would probably go with the UL. Both sounded great, yet different and being 25lbs lighter and only about $100 more the UL was more appealing to me.

Geoff

7. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Well I guess I am going to go for a Epi 3-10 regular because I can get so much of a better deal on it right now. I just hope it will fit in my Audi A4.