1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

epifani weird smell....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barrybass33, Sep 21, 2008.

1. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    I was doing a gig last night and wham a horrable smell.
    I thought it was the amp was frying as i looked closer it was the cab 3x10 series 2 I was wondering If anybody has a prolbem like this and is this a easy fix...:crying::crying:

2. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    you probably smoked a voice coil or something in the cabinet.

either that or your speaker (speaker cable right, NOT normal guitar cable?) got hot and started burning the back of your cabinet. I've seen many pictures of cabinets that has that exact thing happen to them.

3. barrybass33

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    I"M using a speakon cable. and it didn't show any prolbem or wear or heat. I thought these cab are suppose to have a fuse to protect the crossover etc.. thanx Barry.

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Dead rodent?

The fuse or lamp protects the tweeter. You can still smoke some crossovers or one of the woofers. (But the woofs would usually fart out long before you melt 'em.)

5. barrybass33

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    The cab didn't sound like it lost any power, maybe a little high end. then finish the set.
    everyone thought it was the pa. does any one the warranty info... thanx.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

You can find out warranty info at Epifani's web site. Most warranties don't cover abuse like blowing speakers.

Check all your equipment; the smell should still be there.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    they are built in red hook after all... :smug:

8. barrybass33

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    Itook a ride to the epifani shop yesterday. they put the cab on the bench there's a little
    piece behind the tweeter called the diaphram. Put a new in 2 min. later out the door.
    Just want to say thanx to nick & shawn.....