Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mikeels, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Mikeels

Mikeels

Apr 20, 2000
    So.CA.
    Was wondering if anyone has tried the epifani 3x10 cabs?
    I hear they are like a cross between bagends and acme.

2. Hey Mike,
    I just sold one... it gave me great highs and lows - but no mid range. It's the strangest thing because the 2x12 is full of mids. I would suggest an SWR Goliath, or and EBS-410 if you can find one locally (I actually prefer the EBS, but you can't lose with the SWR).

The 3x10 just did not do it for me.

3. Mikeels

Mikeels

Apr 20, 2000
    So.CA.
    Thanks for the reply! I'm playing the rig game again.
    I just purchased an acme cab that has tone to die for. Unfortuanatly it does'nt have enough volume for the venues we play. I spoke with Andy and he said I need another b-2 to go with the one I have...but am a little hesitant to spend the bucks and still have no volume. The good folks at bassnw brought up the epifani cabs, said they had good tone but were louder. Thanks for the advice on the SWR gear......any other suggestions would be appreciated

4. onebassplayer,how are the lows in the 2x12? I'm quite intrested in that cab but was wondering if it has the lows comparable to a 2x15 cab.I own a road ready mesa\boggie 2x15 and rd.rdy 2x10 but the 2x15 is a real back breaker. I don't want to give up the low end air movement and was wondering if a 2x12 would fill the void..sounds like a nice compromise but I'm a little wary...what do you think??

5. I ended up gettind a second Acme Low B-2 cab. BIG difference! One may be okay for small clubs, but 2 are wonderful for larger places. Mine are 4 ohm. If you like the sound of Acme, you might want to try two. Besides, I think 2 are still lighter than many 4x10s.

Good luck!
    Jeff

6. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have the same situation (the two cabinet thing)with EA cabs. You wouldn't believe how much of a difference getting the second cabinet makes.

One sounds great, not quite loud enough, 2 I have more volume than I ever will need, with even better tone, but you have to have these cabs turned up a bit to make it happen.

What head are you using to power the Acme? I really think that's a key issue too. If you are "underpowered", so to speak, Acme's and EA's will never put out what they're capable of.

I'm using a Sunn 1200 S head at 4 ohms which we're figuring is somewhere between 750 and 900+watts (listed at 1200 at 2 ohms). I barely have to go beyond 21/2 with no to minimal clipping of the pre-amp with two cabinets, but with one, I'm up around 4 + to really get some balls.

What did you have prior to this? I know the EA's and Acme's take a little "getting used to." They really are louder than you might believe because of their flat response.

LKaye

7. Mikeels

Mikeels

Apr 20, 2000
    So.CA.
    I was playing an SVT pro 4 head with the pro 410 hlf cab. I needed to lighten things up a bit as the hlf cab weighs 128lbs and was killing me to move it.
    I sold the rig and bought an Eden wt800. Man I love the sound with the Acme cabs.....but played out last night and all I heard from the guys was "where's the bottom". I could hear it but needed more presence in the room. Do You guys think I'll need more power than the Eden to run these cabs loud?

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I was recently doing some cab browsing, and this was my setup... Peavey Firebass II 700 head, Bag End 1x15 (front firing port, no coaxial), and Epifani 1x12 (with tweeter) with a MM Sterling. I really liked it. The 12's got tons of punch for a 12. Although, if I got those cabs, I'd most likely go with a 2x10 instead of the 12. or atleast a 2x12. It was a really sweet sound though. My friend Doug was with me, perhaps he'll give his input on the Epifani cab?

9. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't think it's realistic to go from your Ampeg setup to 210's, regardless of who makes the cabinet and get anywhere near the volume. The acme's and EA's of the world are both inefficient cabinets. The Ampeg, with the extended low end and four tens, is much louder with an emphasized low end. It's not the even sound and your bandmates heard that.

In any case, you're gonna have to spend some more money. If you're only interested in sheer volume and more bottom, not even tone, try adding the Epifani 212 to your acme, or get the 410 acme. It's not "that" heavy. It will make a difference. I think the Eden would definitely be OK IF you get a second cabinet.

I've seen some used ones on bassgear.

Good luck Fishin'

LKaye

10. Mikeels

Mikeels

Apr 20, 2000
    So.CA.
    Yes Larry, I think you are right. I'd heard a lot about the acmes and was hopeing they would be a little louder. I love the tone and think I'll try another one. Maybe I'll be lucky and get enough volume. I wasn't running the Ampeg cab that hard to be heard. I realise now how really good the cab was and wish I hadn't of sold it......oh well.
    Thanks all for the replys.......even about the folded horn as I thought that might give me more of that clean bottom loudness.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you're looking for a very tight sounding cabinet and want loud, the EBS 4x10 is one of the loudest (and punchiest) cabinets I've ever heard:D

You can sometimes find one available here or there, especially on the internet. Call or go to the web page of www.r2musical.com and talk to Rawn Randall. He's a good guy and has good deals on EBS gear.:cool:

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I don't have any experience with the Epifani 212, but from what I've heard it has monster bottom end. And they are supposed to be really loud. I've heard people say one 212 is enough for most any gig, and that having two 212's would be scary.

13. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Yes, one Epi. 2x12 is PLENTY of volume for nearly any gig. When I spoke with Mr Epifani before purchasing my T-212, he actually advised against me getting a second 2x12! If I really want to, I can be louder than most mid sized PA's with the one 2x12 (driven with an Aguilar DB 728) I did get a T-112 and stacked it on top of the 212 for a couple of outdoor gigs, and it was simply amazing. Those 3 12's in a vertical line threw to the other end of the park.

14. rekesbass,
    I'll ditto coyoteboy's comments. The 2x12 is the one to get (in my opinion). It's not light, but no where near as heavy as the mesa 2x15 (ouch !). Lots of lows, great, articulate mids, and clean highs.

15. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    BERGANTINO.....BERGANTINO....BERGANTINO
    Read the review in july BASS PLAYER....I'm not the only guy who thinks they kick ass!

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    what? a 12" sounding like a 15"? No.

17. thanx guy's,now I need to find a dealer in my area to test drive one...which won't be easy..btw what is the ohms? on the 2x12

18. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I'm running two Epifani T-112. It is essentially like having a 212 but in two separate cabinets. I stack them, and they sound amazing. I play some decent sized gigs, and I can't imagine needing more volume. Plus it's super portable. I've even done smaller gigs with 1 112. Depending on things like the drummer's style and the guitarist's rig, it is doable to use 1 112.

19. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    How much did you get your 112's for? How long ago did you buy them? Aguilar just came out with a 112 for around $389 per cab. Just trying to assess the value of the Epif vs the Ag.

Thanks

LKaye

20. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Larry,
    I got them about 18 months ago right from the Epifani shop in Brooklyn; I don't remember what I paid for them. I think they list for around $600 though.

Whatever I paid though, they were worth it. I don't even think about my cabinets anymore. Same thing with my Kern pre-amp; the last thing I worry about is the sound coming from my rig. I know that as long as I give it a good signal at the input, it will sound great coming out.