Epifiani 310UL review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tophe07, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Tophe07

Feb 26, 2005
    I got my Epifani 310 UL cabinet yesterday. I was nearly floored when I took it out of the box. I knew this thing was supposed to be light and small, but this was way smaller and lighter than I had imagined. It is about the same size dimension wise, and lighter than my Ampeg 100 watt combo! Needless to say, I was blown away by the 310's physical nature.

So, I hook it up to my Eden WP100 pre-amp/Eden WT1000 power amp set up. I'm hooking it up mono-bridged which delivers 1000 watts rms into the cab which takes 750 watts RMS. I love the headroom that the setup provides.

I plug in my Spector and excitedely turn on my pre-amp and let it warm up for a second. Then I turn on the power amp and slowly bring the volume up to where it is a good bedroom sound level. Wow! I was amazed at how clean and tight the lows sounded (I tune my bass to C# standard). The low notes packed major punch and clarity. The mids were brilliant and full. The highs were crisp and clear.

After playing for 30 minutes at this volume, I decide that it is time to crank this thing. I put on my earplugs and take it to a small gig level volume. Again, my first impression was: wow.

This thing definitely seems to open up with more power and handles everything with ease.

It sounded great no matter what I played on it (Slap, Finger, Tap). And good god does it look sexy! It fits PERFECT under my Rack case.

I could not be happier with my 310. Gguitars.com was great and delivered it well packaged ($999 w/ free shipping).

I highly recommend this cabinet to anybody that wants brilliant sound in an amazingly light/compact box. I can carry this thing around without the slightest bit of strain. Epifani hit it out of the park with this, IMO.
  2. Tophe07

Feb 26, 2005
    bump - I know several people were waiting for this review
  3. sano1997

Mar 18, 2005
    Dude that is a seriously amazing rig, congrats! :bassist:
  4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I just borrowed a 310UL for the last 3 gigs. I was totally
    and completely blown away. I have a 210UL that has been
    total bliss. For bigger gigs I add a 112UL. I'm thinking its as
    good as it gets. Then the 310UL!! My G.A.S. could start to
    have an effect on my marriage. I just had to have one. As
    previously stated, this box is a real chameleon. Low volume,
    high volume, r&b, jazz, slapping, you name it, this thing does
    it. Don't mean to gush, but I'm very excited about my new
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    awesome B...

FYI, just ordered my 310UL from Dave at the Groove Shoppe. i'll put up a nice review in due time. :cool:
  6. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

How do the epi cabs sound for rock? I play in a cover band and we do many different styles of music, from 50's-70's classic rock to eighties to 90's alt-rock to modern day pop. I know jazz guys are big into thse babies, but can they do a decent job with more vingate styled sounds? I'm not talking replication, just a decent characteristic rock tone.
  7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The only sound I don't see coming from the 310UL, is an SWR
    "ultra scooped" type of sound. Mostly because the horn is so
    much smoother. Not as in your face. Still a killer slap sound,
    just not an SWR slap sound. The sound seems to change with
    the type of bass used. I don't normally like this big a box for
    my upright bass, but the 310UL has a tight enough sound to
    make it work. I might even like it more than the 112UL for this.
    I now understand why the 310UL is so well reviewed. G.A.S.!
  8. It's great cab!
    I not sure if I should go with 3x10UL or 4x10UL. Both are really great! I have the 2x10UL and if I got the 4x10UL I would use them both at a very big gigs - 6x10

Mike Pope sold his 4x10UL because Nick had sent him a 2x12UL and he liked the 2x12UL better with his upright!
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    or, you could get a 3x10, and simply put it on its side, underneath the 2x10. make sure the 2x10 is 4 ohm vs. the 3x10's 5.3 ohm impedence, and you'd still have quite the loud rig, albeit a touch more compact.
  10. I love my 310UL also. I took the plunge on a 410UL at 4ohms a while back, and it is REALLY an amazing cab.... same basic sound as the 310UL, but for those really large gigs where you are wumping on the B string, it really is amazing. I still use the 310UL for most gigs, but it's nice to have those extra DB's on the low end when I need it. I used a 210UL for a while for smaller gigs, but found that the 310 was significantly louder and 'better sounding' IMO, and not much larger or heavier.

Congrats on your purchase. The only problems I've ever had with my Epi cabs (I've owned a ton of them through the last 8 years or so) has been an occasional tweeter diaphragm failure. Nick does not put any tweeter protection circuitry in his cabs. EBS head users beware... that bright control can just fry tweeters at high volume. The good news is, the diaphragms are really easy to replace. That being said, I wish they would put some protective circuitry in there!
  11. My EBS Fafner do not work well with Epi cabs. When I turn up the volume the tweeter starts complaining. First I thought it was my cabs but when I use them with my Epi 502 amp they sound good!
    I will need a good poweramp to use with Epi amp if I should run a 2x10 with 3x10 or 4x10. Epifani don't have their poweramp ready yet.
    Does anyone have a suggestion?
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

but Capt. Scarlet says he LOVES his UL410 with his EBS head. he's done a few outdoor shows, and said a few of the other bands' bass players on the same bill loved the tone, too. YMMV i guess. if the tweeter gets outta hand, turn it down i say!

also, here's a pic of the shop i took a little while back. its a little hard to tell cause of the angle, but the UL310 is a nice a tidy compact little box compared to the UL410. you can tell by using the front ports on the lower right as a guide. the UL310 is a good few inches shorter, not to mention a few inches slimmer.

btw, at the time, i remember Nick putting the UL310 on the scale, and it read 57 lbs. but while talking to the gents at the shop, they confirmed for me that they now weigh 47 lbs. as per on the site! :cool: if you pull the pic to your desktop and use the preview magnification tool, you can juuuuuust make out the 61-62 lbs. marker and go from there.

13. Cool! A 310 on a scale!!! You are the man!
  14. Well,
    Is only when I use the drive bottom (Like overdrive) the tweeter is having a bad time. A guy told that it maybe could be the tube in the preamp! I will have to try again :eyebrow:

Cool pics. Which preamp is it on top of the 4x10UL? Kern?
  15. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Has anyone ever compared the EPI 310UL or EPI410's to a Bergantino HT322? My HT322 has been my ALL TIME favorite cab since I got it. Simply an amazing cabinet. But it does weigh 94lbs-ish. Sigh.

What does the Epi 410 weigh and does it go lower, deeper and louder than the 310UL?

Appreciate any comparisons to Bergie HT322 or Accugroove Whappo Jr. Thanks!

Side note: My Thunderfunk 550 just arrived 5 minutes ago to my office! I can't wait to get home and check it out! And I have a gig on a big outdoor festival Concert stage tomorrow night too!
  16. Congrats... you will love that Thunderfunk :hyper:

I can't comment on the Bergi comparison, but I do own and regularly gig with both a 310UL and 410UL. The 410UL, while sounding very similar to the 310UL, really can put out a lot more sound than the 310 (which makes sense or they would stop making it). The 410 weighs slightly under 60 pounds. I ordered the 4ohm version, and that with the 550 really pumps. I do a lot of 'old school' slapping at very loud volumes without DI/PA help. I think this is probably the ultimate test of a cab. I've never run out of room with the 410UL, while every once in a while the 310 starts to strain a bit.
  17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks KJ! I can't wait to check out my Thunderfunk550! ARe the Epi cabs less power huingry than Bergantino's? TO be honest, I have never really felt underpowered using my Ashdown ABM500 EVO (575W @ 4 ohms). I have been told that the Thunderfunk is a "loud" 500W's, so I'm guessing it's going to be GREAT. But I do love 410's. How well does the EPI410UL handle Low B string notes? Gotta tell ya that the Bergie NAILS the Low B notes to the FLOOR. Never even got it to choke. and I can have a pretty heavy slap hand at times on the low B. Thanks again! Gary
  18. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

btw, here are some pics of my just received UL310. literally picked it up from the shop after work, and headed right for rehearsal, where it kicked major booty. :cool:

i'll put up a little review versus the other two cabs later this week.

19. You just have some of the fines gear in world! Can't wait for your review.