Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifone bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by delir66, Oct 14, 2005.

1. delir66

delir66

Oct 14, 2005
    I own an epifone bass that I bought when I was child, and I'm trying to play again. It's active bass (or i think so since it has a 9 volt battery inside). The bass has two pickups and four knobs and I would like to know what are them for.
    One is the volume for shure :)
    Another seems to be some kind of another volume, don't know if it activates the active or something.
    The other two seem to be tones, but may be that tones one for each pickup? Both seem to do the same, bring the sound from very big round bass to very metallic lowcut bass.
    Any idea about that?
    Thanks a lot.

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Probably volume, pickup blend, bass and treble. Your description of the tones sounds odd though. It could be active pickups with passive electronics, in which case it would probably be volume, blend, and seperate tone for each pickup.

3. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Pics?

4. I use this method when I check out basses at Guitar Center. Okay make sure the amp EQ is flat. Turn all knobs counter-clockwise. If there is a middle section that you hit then this may be a cut-boost knob for Active EQ or a blend knob. Try one knob to determine whether it is a volume knob by turning it clockwise. If its not turn it counter-clockwise into the off position. If it is a volume knob, great, remember which knob it is. Now turn that knob off. Test another to see if it is a volume knob. If it is not turn the knob counter-clockwise. Then try another knob. Repeat until you have tried all knobs. If you have one volume knob this may be a master volume knob for both pickups. You may or may not have a blend knob, so check for this with the volume knob(s) on. If remaining knobs do not seem to be changing pickups then this may be an EQ. Test knobs for bass by checking for a bassy boom, the same goes for midrange and treble. Good luck! I hope this wasn't confusing.