Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphany?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    After talking to numerous bass gods, I've found that what I'm going through, everyone goes through. After playing all of the fancy basses, the customs, and fantasy basses, I've gone out and bought 2 Jazz basses, and an '83 Fender P Bass (today). One guy told me that Fender P's are like women who KNOW that they are great in bed. They seem to say, "Go out and sleep with these other broads, and when you realize that I'm the sh*t in bed, you'll be back!"
    Don't get me wrong, I still love my Eshenbaugh, but I'm talking Fender P here! :p

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    last week I got a Conklin GT7... this week I am working on getting an MIA P bass..... I understand where you are coming from, I'm just more volatile with the timing!

P@

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I hear ya!
    I finally gave in and am now enjoying P-bliss myself.
    The others have their place, but the P will not be denied!

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Here she is, BTW.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Holy crap!;)

6. In that swiss army knife thread; I said, if you needed one bass with which to rebuild civilization. The "P" was the one.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Me too!

I own several nice basses, but I need that P tone. And there is no other way to get it. I just wish that there was an affordable P 5.

8. I was using the same word, ephiphany, to describe 'rediscovering' my P last week at band practice. I had shelved it for about six months or so, for various reasons. Since I had gotten a new amp, I'd been struggling with getting a good sound out of the P, besides my back bothering me, so I put it away and have been using a cheap Ibanez, while keeping an eye out for another entirely different new bass when I got the money together.

Well, the back has been feeling better, and I dragged the P out for practice a couple of weeks ago, for the heck of it, because I haven't been real thrilled with the Ibanez sound either. A couple of tweaks of the EQ, and the P was singing again. I hadn't sounded this good at practice since I'd joined the band.

9. amen. my first bass is a p-style, but someday i'm gonna have the real deal.

10. My singer looked at me funny the other day when I brought my P to rehearsal instead of my Wal 5. I told him it was time for me to go "old school".

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I see we drink the same brand! :D

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    A Precision or a Jazz, sometimes both, go with me to every gig. Always has.

13. Da EIGHT!! What's up Woodchuck. So is there a sudden shift back to the old school? What about that white Warrior in the gallery on Piedmont??

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    It performed great at my gig. That Warrior kicked arse! I still love my exotic type basses, but I played this P through my amp and also at the studio. No snappy highs, no growling mids, just warm lows! Lows that felt like a fur coat! Like a plush towel fresh outta the dryer! I can't explain it, but after 5 years of playing, I finally realized what Jamerson, Entwistle, Steve Harris, George Porter, Pino, Bootsy, Nathan East, et al. meant. P's are the bomb! I plan on getting another!

15. I suppose P basses mean different things to different people, with different strings, setup, amp settings, but to me P bass=growling mids!

so far I've found that a P bass with PJ p/ups is my "Swiss Army" bass.
    upper fret access is a problem, though.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    P's gotcha, hu Woodchuck? Well, don't feel bad. I wanted all sorts of Warwick, modulus, MM, Roscoe, ect, right? What sound was it that did it for me? the P.

Or, as I call it, the Thwunk.

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, after i had gotten my atk, i had sorta forgot about my p basses standing in the coner o ver there. so i picked up one,,, ALL OF THE SUDDEN WHAM. I got thick, chunky, getto bootie bottem,,, GOTTA LOVE IT. is it just me, or is that thing in JUST THE RIGHT SPOT. i want a MM type humbuck in that postion. Something about p-basses turn me on.....