Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone 1958 Flying V Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smokey, Nov 26, 2003.

1. I am new to this site, and this is my first post. I was a guitar player for over a year, and I fell in love with the bass a few months ago. I have spent my time mastering it ever since. With that, I have a question: I have been looking at an Epiphone 1958 Flying V Bass. It runs about $420.00 on the web. I was wondering if anyone here has this particular bass, and if I should know anything about it, pros and cons. Here is a link to it, thanks in advance.
    http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=29622

2. It looks sweet...kinda. I have seen a bunch of little kid ones and little like..10 year olds bashing them and strumming like a guitar. but if this ones big and cool, i think it would be sweet. soudn though...idk. It seems liek it would sound a little dull and not very bright and punchy...but then again, i have no idea.

- w00t

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's an excerpt from one of the reviews:

Altogether, we look awesome. (listen up guys) At our last gig when we took a break, (we usually take a break in the middle of our performances) three hot 15 year old chicks (I'm 14) came up to me and told me I looked cute playing my white guitar.

This never happens to me. Maybe I, too, need a white bass.

4. Me either!:eek:

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    [​IMG]
    A white Rick is even cuter. :bassist: :p

6. orange_nate

orange_nate Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    hey, i own this bass...and its got a very bright sound...pretty punchy but not as powerful as most...good value...

7. orange_nate

orange_nate Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    im 19 and not out to impress 14 year old chicks...play music for music damnit!!!

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've had one for about 3 years now. Gig regularly with it. My experience-if you like a bright tone you'll need to change strings often. After just a couple gigs when the strings go a little dead, the tone goes bad. I go for a more BRMC tone so it's not a big deal for me. It's light, balanced and fun to play. Case is VERY big. Controls are smooth, and tuners work fine. Here in Austin,TX everyone plays a Fender so I instantly stand out with the V. Mine's black, I want one of the cream/white ones. The gold plating looks cool. Tuning is stable.
    I noticed the bassist for All American Rejects has started using the Epi V live after using the Gibson V in their videos.

9. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    That's not a white Rick. That's a Rick with the "light show" feature