1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epiphone 1958 Flying V Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smokey, Nov 26, 2003.

1. I am new to this site, and this is my first post. I was a guitar player for over a year, and I fell in love with the bass a few months ago. I have spent my time mastering it ever since. With that, I have a question: I have been looking at an Epiphone 1958 Flying V Bass. It runs about $420.00 on the web. I was wondering if anyone here has this particular bass, and if I should know anything about it, pros and cons. Here is a link to it, thanks in advance.
    http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=29622

2. It looks sweet...kinda. I have seen a bunch of little kid ones and little like..10 year olds bashing them and strumming like a guitar. but if this ones big and cool, i think it would be sweet. soudn though...idk. It seems liek it would sound a little dull and not very bright and punchy...but then again, i have no idea.

- w00t

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's an excerpt from one of the reviews:

Altogether, we look awesome. (listen up guys) At our last gig when we took a break, (we usually take a break in the middle of our performances) three hot 15 year old chicks (I'm 14) came up to me and told me I looked cute playing my white guitar.

This never happens to me. Maybe I, too, need a white bass.

4. Me either!:eek:

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    [​IMG]
    A white Rick is even cuter. :bassist: :p

6. orange_nate

orange_nate Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    hey, i own this bass...and its got a very bright sound...pretty punchy but not as powerful as most...good value...

7. orange_nate

orange_nate Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    im 19 and not out to impress 14 year old chicks...play music for music damnit!!!

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've had one for about 3 years now. Gig regularly with it. My experience-if you like a bright tone you'll need to change strings often. After just a couple gigs when the strings go a little dead, the tone goes bad. I go for a more BRMC tone so it's not a big deal for me. It's light, balanced and fun to play. Case is VERY big. Controls are smooth, and tuners work fine. Here in Austin,TX everyone plays a Fender so I instantly stand out with the V. Mine's black, I want one of the cream/white ones. The gold plating looks cool. Tuning is stable.
    I noticed the bassist for All American Rejects has started using the Epi V live after using the Gibson V in their videos.

9. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    That's not a white Rick. That's a Rick with the "light show" feature