Epiphone Accu-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ashtray9, Aug 10, 2002.

1. ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Hello, I was wondering what opinion is of the Epiphone Accu Bass. It is my first bass, so I have no idea if it is at all decent. Workmanship is not classy, but very sturdy. Oddly I can not find any info on this bass. Is it rare? I have a version with both p and j pickups, and this seems to be even rarer. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hmm... Some 62 fender pickups might make it very worthy.
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    theyre alright. My buddy started on one of those. I mean your right theyre solid as heck, but nothing in the flash department. Im not sure how the pickups sound cuz i never played it plugged in, but most epis suck in that department. Itd be a good starter bass for sure, though. Look used also, u can pick up great stuff used.
  3. bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    ive been trying to find info on them too. i got a jr. I like mine but i dont know why its called a jr.
  4. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    I just picked up an Epiphone, I think it's an Accubass, for $120 used. I think overall it's a solid bass, decent construction and good tone. The body isn't a solid piece of wood but maple and alder laminate, at least that's what the web site says.

I don't think it's rare.

The junior is the 30" scale neck.

If anyone has any other info pass it along.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    My first bass was an Accu-Bass. It's a fantastic first bass. Very solidly built with a nice, hot output.

I then sold that to one of my best friends, who let Scotty, the bass player from Allister play it for a show when his bass crapped out, and now my former first bass is on Allister's promo pics. :D
    bobodechimp likes this.
  6. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    To Cool.

I've been jonesing for a new P-Bass but don't have the cash right now. I told my wife it was a stray that followed me home. :D And for what I play it'll get the job done.

It seems pretty solid, the pickups are hot although I will probably replace them, and the body is solid. The location of the neck joint for the tilt back headstock bothers me but the neck seems straight for now.

I did A/B the bass with an MIA Fender and MIM Fender. Of Course the MIA Fender's tone is better but to me the tone was about 80-85% there so I'm pretty happy with it in the tone for dollars category.

It was a close call with the MIM Fender. It seems the MIM Fender basses are trying to be different animals tonally than the American basses. Of course that's just my opinion.
    So it was hard to determine which P sound the most like the real P.
  7. thebiggianthead

Jul 19, 2003
    Im trying to decide on my 1st bass guitar and the accu bass looks good but... Im confused.

Music123.com is selling an accu bass jr. (list price $282) and they also have an accu bass – NOT a jr. (list price $359). Musicians friend is only selling an accu bass – not jr. (list $359).

accu bass
    accu bass jr.

They both have 1 split Humbucker pickup, 20 frets, chrome hardware, 34.0" scale, 1.65" nut width, bolt neck joint, maple neck, rosewood/dot fingerboard, maple/alder body, and the pictures look identical. Available in the same colors.

The epiphone web site only lists the jr. in the catalog, but then they referr to it later in the catalog as just the accu bass. I think the jr. is a short scale bass, not sure about the non-jr.

Are there actually 2 different bases – and if so whats the difference? If theres only one bass then why the price difference?
  8. Willyvee

Jan 21, 2011
    Hey all- sorry if this thread is dead, but I have just bid on and won an Epi Accu bass jr. on ebay and the listing as well as other sources I found online noted that the Accu Bass jr. was still a 34" neck. I got a pretty good deal on it (I think) at around $70. It hasn't arrived yet, so I will be sure to report back whether it has a 30" or a 34" neck- should be good to practice with.