Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone Allen Woody Limited Edition Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Nov 14, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    [​IMG]

it's out. and it sells for 480$

old school lovers, who tried one?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh. I like that pic, Bruce.

I think it would rock with TI Jazz Flats on it. But, I'll never be able to justify getting one, unfortunately. It goes on the list with an MTD Heir, and Steve Harris PBass--the "If I Win The Lottery" list...

I wonder if there is a Woody Allen model Clarinet?

It would have been great if Allen Woody, Woody Allen, Stuart Hamm, and Hamish Stuart were able to start a band before Allen died. Just to confuse people. :D

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How about a bass trio of :

Victor Wooten, Victor Bailey and Steve Bailey?

Do you think that would cause any confusion! ;)

"Hey Vic - err... Mr. Bailey!! "

6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Speaking of hijacked...airplanes get highjacked, and this thread is reminding me of "Airplane."

"Mr. Unger, Mr. Over."
    ""Over."
    "Unger."
    "Mr. Unger, Mr. Done."
    "Unger."
    "Done."

Or, something to that effect....:D

Seriously, though, the Allen Woody Bass reminds me a little of a Hofner. I'm sure the short scale, and hollow-ness of the bass would thump nicely. It'd have to be flats, though. No rounds allowed on that thing. Rotosound Monel Flats would be meaty, too....

I'd prefer if it weren't purple, though.

7. I'd prefer if it wasn't made by Epiphone...

8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The only Epiphone I've tried recently is the Jack Cassidy bass, which is ANOTHER on my list of "IF I Win the Lottery." If the quality is as good as the Cassidy's I've played, I'd be happy buying one unseen. I've yet to find a Cassidy that was a dog. I'm sure they're out there, but I've played 9-10 of them, and they've all been great basses.

9. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I bought one yesterday. after gas'ing since they came out, my local store got one in--i tried it and bought it.

I love the short scale/low action--very easy to play. The tone is very interesting--comes alive w/ a very light touch. It gives a very "growly" sound--makes my "hi-fi-ish" amp sound like an overdriven tube amp! I don't expect much tone diversity out of it, but this is a great sound for a blues or roots kind of setting.

I think the bass is gorgeous too--deep wine red finish w/ cream binding around the body--feels kinda sensuous to play. :D

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

How are the acoustical tones on this bass, it is a chambered body right ?.

11. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I believe it is considered a semi-hollow body. It really feels and plays more like a guitar than a bass (gasp!) Tons of sustain! Very light. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by acoustical tones, but i believe the sustain and tone are products of the "hollow" feel. Also that it comes alive w/ a light touch--tough to "dig in" on. This wealth of opinion is after playing it four times, though! I think it's a fun bass and i'd recommend trying one if you see one.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks, if i see one i will check it out. I am using my Jack Casady for my hollow body.

13. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I've been jonesing for one of these for a while. I LOVE the Mule, and I have little baby girlie hands, so I think the shorter scale would be comfortable.

14. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    I just bought one , I had to try it .. Heck for the price it's worth a shot. :help:

15. I always liked its shape and am a big fan of Woody and the Mule... but which one do you recommend, the Allen Woody or the Jack Casady???... I don't know if you can get used to the short scale easily.

16. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I have not played the jack casady sig so i can't compare them. I wanted a short scale--i find it a little easier on my small hands than a p-bass neck. There is also a difference in the pickups between the woody and jack basses--woody has 2 mini humbuckers, jc has a single low-impedence w/ vari-tone switch. It's tough to find these basses in stores to compare

17. victobass

victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    Florida,USA
    I bought the Allen Woody in December and so far I'm very pleased with it. The fit and finish are excellent! It came with 45-105 rounds but I replaced them with 45-100 D'Addario Chromes. It isn't the most versatile bass, but for Mule type songs it can't be beat. If you solo the brdge PU you can get a nice P Bass tone. The best part about the bass is that it's nice and light and the short scale makes it a joy to play at the end of the night.