1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone Allen Woody vs Gretsch Junior Jet

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beatlesfan64, Apr 29, 2010.

1. beatlesfan64

beatlesfan64

Apr 11, 2010
    I am very interested in both of these basses, and both fit what I am looking for...

I have read reviews on here for both basses, but I am curious if anyone has experience with both the Allen Woody and the Gretsch Junior Jet?

Has anyone played both of these, and might be able to provide a little comparisons to the sounds and weight of the instruments...

I play mostly rhythm bass as opposed to lead or fusion style madness, so I am looking for something with a nice sound to add to the band, but I don't really need to be ripping off solos...jsut a nice powerful low end bass...maybe a little slap too:)

2. I play an Allen Woody and love it. I actually find it to be pretty versatile. It's my primary live instrument. I played a P Bass for years but my back couldn't handle it any more.

3. Rox

Rox

Apr 25, 2010
    Allen Woody hands down.

4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    The Gretsch is alot cheaper.

Just sayin

5. I have the Gretsch. I had been playing long scale for 10+ years, having previous short scale time w/ an EB0 and a Fender Bullet. Was in a used gear store trying Ps and Js and a few others, nothing too fancy, wasn't planning on purchasing anything...spotted the lil' Gretsch. I liked the sorta-retro look so I gave it a spin. I was surprised to find that it sounded better than any of the other basses I played, so much so that I plunked down the $180 and bought it (I must have caught the short scale u-I now own an Eastwood Classic 4 and a Univox 'Lectra.) The one time I got my hands an an Epi Allen Woody I didn't like it quite as much as I though I would. Maybe I played a not-so-great one. I much preferred the Hofner CT that I compaerd it too.