1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

SOLD Epiphone B4 Upright 3/4 double bass from the 50's

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by robassable, Aug 19, 2021.

1. robassable

robassable

Feb 2, 2014
    Price:
    Strings:
    I have owned this plywood bass for the past 27 years, and after recently purchasing a wood bass have reluctantly decided to sell it. I had a professional luthier, who worked on stringed instruments for the symphony, do a proper dressing on the fingerboard and overall set up several years back, and ever since, it has played nice with a full but not too boomy tone. I also paid him good money to upgrade it with a really nice substantial endpin (brass), The bridge was cut a tad too much for the wheel spacing (my fault). It didn't seem to effect the tone at all, and never bothered me, but wanted to point it out. Prior to my owning it, this bass was played in a country swing band by a guy who had it for decades. I reckon it is very late 1950's based on the 171 serial number and it's placement on the bottom. It has plenty of battle scars, dings, chips and scratches, but is still solid and plays and sounds great! It had a couple of neck repairs from way back, before I owned it (likely over 30 years ago), but the neck has remained perfectly solid and hasn't budged a bit. The strings were put on several years ago and, as of now at least, I am having difficulty remembering what brand they are, but they still sound good to me at least. I am in Tucson and hoping for a local buyer, but I guess could consider shipping if the buyer is willing to make the arrangements and cover all the related costs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  2. robassable

robassable

Feb 2, 2014
    Anyone interested?? This is a well made upright in solid good playing and sounding condtion!