Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

epiphone basses and bass soapbar p'ups???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by muhammadsmith, Apr 21, 2002.

1. the bassist in my band has a 70s epiphone bass with two pickups that look like soapbars. it has the little epiphone e on the pickguard. this bass is really impressive, and he got it for $100. does anyone on this forum know what the name of the basses epiphone put out in the 70s were? it has a precision bass-style body, if that helps. also, i'm not sure if it uses "soapbar" sized pickups or not. it looks like soapbar-sized guitar pickups, but when i typed in "bass soapbar" on ebay, i came up with something that looked like a jazz bass pickup. i'm confused now. any info about this bass will help, 'cause i'm gonna help him re-wire the electronics and replace the horrible and unreliable bridge pickup. also, does anyone have a suggestiong on a good soapbar (or whatever it is) bridge pickup for non-slap soloing? we're in a punk band, if that helps any help is always appreciated; i've had good luck on this forum in the past on answering my questions

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    This is more of a Pickup related question, so I am moving it to the Pickups forum.

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    You're probably talking about the Japanese-made basses, and they used humbuckers. They aren't as good as the American-made versions of the '60s, since the new owners of Epiphone at that time were trying to hit the bottom line heavily by cutting production costs. I can't give you the model name without a pic, but you can usually find one of these up on Ebay described as "vintage Epiphone bass". I think the model may be the EA-260.