Epiphone black bird bass controls

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RustyFPV, May 12, 2019.

1. RustyFPV

RustyFPV

Jan 2, 2017
    I thinking about buying a Epiphone black bird bass. It only has a toggle switch which from what I've researched acts as a mute switch. Just wondering how do you switch between pickups ? I can't find an answer but I'm sure someone here will know. Cheers

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The Epiphone site says the only control is the on/off switch so my SWAG is there is no way to select pickups and both are used whenever the switch is on.

Edit: I searched for a wiring diagram to see if the pickups are wired in series or parallel but I couldn't find one.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  3. RustyFPV

RustyFPV

Jan 2, 2017
    I found a you tube clip where the guy switches to different pickups and the sound confirms that , but you can't see clearly in the clip what he uses to do this. It would seem odd not to be able to select different pickups

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Can you post a link to the clip?

Yes it would be unusual and it begs the question, why would the Epiphone site say the only control is an On/Off switch? A wiring diagram/schematic or picture of the inside of the control cavity could provide a definitive answer but I couldn't find one.

5. RustyFPV

RustyFPV

Jan 2, 2017

This is the link. Cheers

6. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    My understanding is this bass is basically setup with a fixed tone based on motley crue/nikki sixx sound. So, yea, no controls to adjust (other than your amp) - just toggle on/off. Hard rock and metal players can just plug and rock! :bassist:

7. RustyFPV

RustyFPV

Jan 2, 2017
    Check out that YouTube clip I posted. He must of wired in a three way switch where the original was. If I get this bass I think I'll do the same, he gets so many tones from it.

bhendrix likes this.
  8. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Yep - definitely a mod. Does sound good!

RustyFPV likes this.
  9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Thanks.

Based on the first minute and a half of that video his switch functions like a normal pickup selector. I suspect it was modded to do so.

RustyFPV and jd56hawk like this.
  10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    The now discontinued Timothy B. Schmitt jazz had no facility to switch pickup, so it's not the first, but I'd put a selector on it.

RustyFPV likes this.
  11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    He modded it with 3-way switch pick...neck only, neck-bridge, bridge only.

RustyFPV likes this.