Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone Casady vs Ibanez Artcore

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Oct 6, 2005.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How does the quality of this basses compare. Im not so interested in the sound as I probably would change the pickup in the Ibanez ASB140.
    Do they balance (neck dive) about the same?

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I haven't played a Casady but I own an Artcore and a few current Epiphone models, and I can say the workmanship of the Ibanez is much better than that of the Epis. No neck dive at all on the Artcore.
    [​IMG]

3. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    How would you describe the tone of this or other hollow-body basses?

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I like the casaday better than the Artcore. The Casady's electronics are superior and offer much more tonal variety and the ability to sound much more warm and vintagey.but they really are in different price brackets.400 for the Artcore and 800 for the Casaday. The Casaday is exactly twice the price of the Artcore but it is a better instrument and the ones I have played are very well constructed cosmetically. I like the 3 piece Artcore neck and balance(both instruments balance well), and especially the look of the singlecut model. The artocore has pickup that can get more agressive, but just can't get as warm as the Casaday. Also, The Casaday bridges are reported to require a bit more maintainance than the Ibanez bass bridges. I think they are both great instruments at thier price points. If $ was no object I would get the Casaday but if spending my own dough, I would probably get an artcore and upgrade the pickup.
    Hope this helps.

5. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    I have both; the Casady is superior in every respect,including build, but it costs twice as much+.

The Artcore is a lot of bang for your buck, but if you're going to go to the trouble of replacing the electronics, just go buy a Casady!

Used is the best deal, but otherwise, buy from Jack himself through Fur Peace Ranch.

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Bang for the buck-wise, the Ibanez Artcore is a heck of an instrument. This Chinese manufactured line (guitars and basses) really amaze me given the price tag. However the Korean made Cassidy has the Artcore beat given the pickups, hardware, and style. I love the bass in black; the single white pickup and chrome hardware really stand out (grrrr!). The hitch? Some (okay, many) Cassidy and Korean Epiphones have attention to detail issues. Uneven frets, funky bindings, bridges in desperate need of tweaking, etc. I think it’d be great if a Cassidy model could be included in Epiphone's Japanese Elitist line. Now that would a fantastic bass albeit a pricey one.

Verdict: Get the Cassidy and take it to a kick-butt guitar tech for some likely needed touching up and setup. The end result is a very cool and unique bass that will not require a 2nd mortgage on yr digs.

r

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Verdict: Get the Artcore and play it right out of the box 'cause it likely won't need touching up or a setup. The end result is a very cool and unique bass that will cost less than half what a Casady+setup does. ;)

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    What type of music are you going to be playing with this bass?

Considering the differences in electronics in the two instruments, it would be good to know what type of music we are recomending an instrument for.

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The sound Im going for is kind of like the E-street band with Springsteen or Wilco. If I go for the Ibanez I will ad a Dark Star pickup as I love the sound of it. I just want to know if the Ibanez plays good. How the neck and fretting feels etc.
    Here is a photoshop pic made by Fred hammon that make the pickups:

Attached Files:

10. I've had a Jackbass almost 5 years now, and still love the sound.

To sum it up quickly, think of the Casady's sound as a hollow-body P-bass, but not nearly as percussive. That's on the middle setting of the varitone switch.

On the low setting it sounds almost like an upright with frets - very delicate and warm. On the high setting it has a snarl to it.

My Casady has had no quality control problems; maybe I was lucky?

The main selling point of the Jackbass I think is the pickup; it's very versatile and expressive.

I haven't played an Artcore, so I can't comment on them, but I have heard good things about them.

I think the Jackbass is perfect for Country & Western, Blues, Motown, Surf and Grateful Dead-type music.

I highly recommend getting one. ;)

Mike

11. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I have the feeling that an Artcore with a darkstar will tonaly outshine even a Jack bass. I would go that route. Of course a Jackbass with a Darkstar would rule, but there is still the matter of $.

12. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeh, I would never mod a Casady as it sounds great from the start. Ive played one many times but have never seen an Artcore in real life. But I have read lots of complaints about that pickup.

13. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    I have an Artcore and it plays really well that action is nice and I quite dig the sound. I would like to find out more about these darkstar pickups because if I can make it sound even better then....

14. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    The pickup is not bad, it's just a very hot, loud pickup, that was origionally designed for the more agressive SRX series of basses. It sounds good, but without rolling the treble completely off at the tone control and then heavily cutting the high mids at the amp it can't get that vintage warmth that I associate with semihollows. Perhaps changing the capacitor would help also. I was also thinking of getting an artcore (the singlecut) and replacing the pickup, but it got pushed to back burner.

At the dudpit (where you got the artcore/darkstar picture?) there is someone who has an artcore/darkstar in the works you should watch to see how it comes out. I know I will be watching.

I personally think that an artcore with a bartolini (direct drop in and less $) from the classic series would also kick some serous butt. But a darkstar seems to be the ultimate choice for a magnetic pickup replacement in semihollow basses.

15. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, I got the picture from the Dudepit. Ive got an Lakland Skyline Glaub with a DarkStar pickup right now and I really love it. But I really want a hollow body too.

Info about the pickup:
    www.hammoneng.com

16. I tried an Artcore at the local GC, and I have to say that I really wasn't impressed with the sound. Good hollow bodies have a really nice warm to them (see My Generation live on The Kids Are Alright DVD for what I'm talking about), and IMO, the Artcore just didn't have it. However, it played decently, I guess. Nothing special, but if you replaced the PU, you might have a decent bass on your hands. However, the Casady is just an awesome bass from the get-go (the one I played at a shop had no set-up issues. Go figure), with a really tonally versatile pickup/controls set-up. Plus it looks cooler. :D
    The moral of the story: buy local.

17. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Are you talking about the version of "MG" on the Smothers Brothers Show? I hope not, as they are clearly miming to a backing track. Just 'cause The Ox is "playing" a Vox hollowbody for the TV show, there's no reason to believe it's the same bass you're hearing on the tape.

18. Oy. I hadn't thought of that. I just assumed that the Ox used the same bass to mime. It does sound like a hollowbody, though.

19. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Is the Artcore available in fretless?

20. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    The hitch? Some (okay, many) Cassidy and Korean Epiphones have attention to detail issues. Uneven frets, funky bindings, bridges in desperate need of tweaking, etc.

r[/QUOTE]
    I have a korean built epi alan woody sig and the details and setup are flawless--maybe I got lucky?

Another option is to buy a casady direct from Jack's website--he has them set up and checked out to his satisfaction.

I'm gas'ing for a jack, but can't ever find one to try!