1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epiphone DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Stradosfella, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Do a search for Epiphone and you will find several threads discussing them. I have played two which had an excellent tone and FWIW was told by a luthier that they are considered to be in the same class as the old American Standard plywoods.

2. Epiphones are in a class by themselves as far as collectors items. Truthfully, this one doesn't look as nice as some. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for 'em. I think they're the most consistently good sounding laminated basses to come out of this country.
    These pictures are too dark to really see the stuff that makes them cool...do a search for Epiphone and some stuff should come up, including some good photos.
    I hear the prices for a one in excellent condition are up to $4,000 and beyond.

3. About two years ago one of the shops in Nashville sold a nice one for around $3,700 but it needed some setup work. They originally planned on doing the setup and then selling it for $4000+ but it actually sold before the work was done.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I had one, loved it. I paid $600 for it. :D If I had a larger house, I'd probably still have it.

5. alavakian

alavakian

Mar 12, 2002
    SF Bay area
    Epiphones are the best laminated basses. Around 1980 a shop in Norwood, OH had four of them for sale, all in excellent condition, asking price $300 apiece.