Epiphone DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Stradosfella, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Do a search for Epiphone and you will find several threads discussing them. I have played two which had an excellent tone and FWIW was told by a luthier that they are considered to be in the same class as the old American Standard plywoods.
  2. Epiphones are in a class by themselves as far as collectors items. Truthfully, this one doesn't look as nice as some. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for 'em. I think they're the most consistently good sounding laminated basses to come out of this country.
    These pictures are too dark to really see the stuff that makes them cool...do a search for Epiphone and some stuff should come up, including some good photos.
    I hear the prices for a one in excellent condition are up to $4,000 and beyond.
  3. About two years ago one of the shops in Nashville sold a nice one for around $3,700 but it needed some setup work. They originally planned on doing the setup and then selling it for $4000+ but it actually sold before the work was done.
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I had one, loved it. I paid $600 for it. :D If I had a larger house, I'd probably still have it.
  5. alavakian

alavakian Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2002
    SF Bay area
    Epiphones are the best laminated basses. Around 1980 a shop in Norwood, OH had four of them for sale, all in excellent condition, asking price $300 apiece.