Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone EB-0. Does it suck? Pup upgrade...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Mar 9, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How good or bad are these copys. Do they come close to the originals? Would an original Gibson pup make a difference in the sound? I found a pup used.

2. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Like most Epi's you'll have to sift thru a few to find a good one but they are pretty nice.Not as nice as a real one but a good bang for the bucks.

3. In fact they can be such good copies that they produce the same UNDESIREABLE traits as well... one of the things EBO's are known for is their sound. It's amazingly warm and fat at low volume (can work great for recording), but all they make is "mud" at high volume, so they're kind of useless for live gigs.

That said, I love the low volume sound, the look, and the short scale playability. I used to own a Gibson EBO back in the late '60s... wish I still had it.

If I were you, I'd put black tapewounds on the danged thing and accentuate that "EBO sound". Use it when and where it fits... but unfortunately, not as your main axe.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  5. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan