1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone EB-0's rock...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by telepbrman, Feb 25, 2008.

1. telepbrman

telepbrman

Dec 11, 2007
    I did a basic A/B test at the store, some 20 minutes, between the SG Bass, Gibby, and the Epi EB-0, and:

Walked out with the EB-0.

I didn't really get that much diff between the two to see spending around 1000.00 more on the gibby. If I really want two pickups, I can get one added, but I didn't see/hear a need for two pickups with this style of bass. Anyhow, just wanted to pass along the info...dy.

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Henry will be happy to hear that

G

3. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I'd have an eb-0 if it wasnt a short scale, I just couldn't make the adjustment. I tried though, they are a great bass for the money

4. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    then get an eb3!
    they're only 50 bucks more and you get the 34inch scale, second pickup, nice, inlays, and a set neck.

5. I have an Epiphone EB-0 and I like it a lot for what it is. I've found it to be a very fast and comfortable bass to play. It makes me want to try out an Allen Woody.

6. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    I remember hating the epi EB0 and I was even playing it through an old Ampeg. I was expecting total mud, but I got total bad instead.

7. That may be the first time I've heard someone angry that they didn't get mud.
    Yeah I really wanted to love these basses and they're really quite good for the money but they just aren't amazing. The finish feels thick and cheap, the pickup sounds for lack of a more descriptive word bad. It doesn't help that they are all set up like total crap at the store. There aren't many short scale basses that can hold a candle to them at that price though.

8. conan8

conan8

Dec 17, 2007
    I like the EB0 and have heard and played several other basses. My EB0 has the look, feel, sound that I want. Have a AMPEG BA112 practice amp and it just makes me want to practice more and more. It did sound different on different amp brands. AMPEG brought out the sound I wanted and then some. SWEET.

Set up is the key and probably depends on the store if it set up good or not. I have tried different EB0s at different stores and they all sound different. Sometimes even the finish is different.

Key is find the bass for you and the sound you want, the look, the feel not what somebody else thinks or feels. It will be your BASS.

I can appreciate other basses regardless of what brand they are just for the simple fact it is all about the BASS.

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Not to mention the terrible neck dive, that's free.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

An Epi EB-0 sounds fine in a basement or a music store.

An Epi EB-0 sounds terrible on a gig or in a full volume rehearsal IMO. It doesn't cut at all. I would not recommend this bass for anyone that is doing more than learning alone with a small amp. It is a nice bass for $200 or whatever but not something I would attempt gigging with.

AN SG Reissue bass sounds much better loud than an Epi EB-0 but even an SG bass can have problems cutting through the mix. The SG is 4 or 5x more expensive too.

I gave up on my SG after 4 months and returned it.

YMMV

11. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    That's why you gotta add some overdrive.

12. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    2 each his own, but overdrive is rarely needed on bass, and I much prefer a clean cutting sound, so in all not 4 every1

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Sorry namraj, that was not directed to your previous post. Sorry you thought it was. It was for Baird who's Gibson bass wasn't cutting thru.

14. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    it's not that bad if you keep your hand on the neck where it belongs:bassist: