1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

epiphone EB-3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gibsonbassist45, Sep 18, 2008.

1. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    has anyone tried,or owned one of these???? they seem to get bad reviews on like guitarcenter.com and such.i was just wondering if they had good quality or not,ive never seen one face to face so ive never got to try one out.

2. a_ribbon

a_ribbon

Apr 10, 2008
    imo they SOUND killer. you gotta be able to appreciate the mud, though.

the thing i've heard most is that the electronics will eventually commit suicide. that's a fairly easy fix, though. either resolder stuff yourself [and invest in like $10 in caps etc] to get it into long use playing condition or pay someone else to.

if you like the gibby getting an sx or squier [except the mudbucker one] isn't going to really be the same.

i personally think they're worth the money to upgrade a bit. it's a good sounding bass with killer vibe.

however, like anything else in life, YMMV. some people don't like spending the time to get stuff like that sorted out.

3. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I got one from the folks for X-mas last year; I've already given it away.

4. fender78man

fender78man

Sep 16, 2008
    I had one, it was nice comfortable to play short neck.. Mine one was surprisingly very well built, I was lucky to get one out of the bunch. Yes it does sound muddy and big creamy thud, it is way louder than p-bass i compared it at the gig I had.. If you want that classic rock and roll sound then go for it. I wouldn't say that it s versatile as jazz bass or even p-bass. So if you want more sound versatility get squire or olp bass.. If you want more of a strong and hard as a brick guitar get epiphone EB0 bass, it is really sturdy a lot of sustain as well due to mahogany body.

Anyway I hope that helps..

But probably save some money to buy a better bass.

5. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    Do they actually use that old huge humbucker like in the old days? I kinda assumed they had something better than that under that huge chrome cap.
    I dunno ... the eb-3 is very niche. The saving grace is the bridge pickup. With that, you can get that cool Jack Bruce-y bark (Like Crossroads and Badge). Andy Fraser got that tone in Free. He was a great Jack Bruce rip off. I my opinion, you have to go for that type tone for an eb-3 to sound good. It's not a versatile instrument.

6. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    the neck pickup Epiphone uses is not like the Gibson mudbucker of old. similar in looks but different sounding.

7. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Epi went to a lot of trouble to design and build a pickup to capture the sound and vibe of the original mudbuck with out being so overpowering. If you take one apart the construction is amazingly similar to the original. I have had tons of 60's EB3s over the years and for a $300 bass these are pretty good. I like how they combined the best qualities of the 60's versions like the highly sculpted body, pickup placement etc. and the 70's thicker body and long scale neck. Right now I have a factory white one that I installed a 60's mudbucker in that plays and sound great. Sure the pots need to be up graded and I had the frets dressed, I have to do that on basses costing over a grand. Honestly it plays better than my 60's and 70's EBs Nice bass for the $ imho

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Having personnally responded to at least 3 different threads asking the same question about the Epi EB-3, I find it hard to believe you didn't find anything when you did a search.

9. yer i tried one a while ago because a freind of mine had one. it was pretty seriously bad.
    i mean it was set up badly (bowed neck and such) and was missing a tuning peg but that aside it played pretty horrifically and the sound, although it may be supposed to be retro or vintage or something, was shocking. thin and yuck. but yeah thats just my opinion