Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone EB-O

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 74rickbass, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Anyone try one.
    What I want to know is, How much of the Gibson EB-O vibe do they have? I'm not asking what they sound like because I presume they sound like all Eb-O's, MUDDY! but I liike that sound, So..

2. My first bass was an Epiphone EB-3, and it didn't sound muddy at all. Actually, I think the pickups of the Epiphones are different from the old Gibsons. It has something to do with the number of turns around the coils inside the pickup, or something like that. Maybe some guy who knows a little more about vintage Gibsons can tell you more. Anyway - I felt that the Epiphone wasn't the right thing for me, and I LOVE Gibson EBs. The long scale (the Epiphone EB-0 has a short scale, but I think you know that already) made it extremely heavy on the neck, and it was a pain in the ass playing longer sessions. I also doubt that the wood used was genuine mahogany as in the Gibsons. It felt all glossy and had the wrong, very bright color. When I later tried a genuine Gibson EB-0 from '69 it immediately felt like home. Although the sound was... Hmm... A little different, the feel of real quality couldn't be beat :)

And oh, I forgot - I have also tried an Epiphone EB-0. It didn't feel very much better than the EB-3 I used to own. Nothing like a Gibson, but not bad for the money. They ARE very cheap and built using cheap components somewhere in the Fillipines (or so).

3. I've played the Gibson EB-O, the Epi EB-O, and the Epi EB-3.

I thought the Epiphones sounded better than the Gibson. They had more clarity, where the Gibson sounded, like you said, Muddy.

If you get an Epiphone thinking you'll get the Gibson tone, you may not be able to hit the Gibson tone, but in my ears, thats a good thing. :D

4. Don't you hate when people bump there posts?