1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone EB1 Fretless neck repair... help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RFord04, Mar 15, 2010.

1. RFord04

RFord04

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    Hey guys, a friend of mine is looking to repair a rather unusual bass, the Epiphone EB1 Fretless. It's quite sad, he left the bass at his friends house and found it in two pieces on the floor the next time he went to his house.

The heel of the neck, where it sits in the neck pocket, is where it was damaged. All four of the screw holes are stripped, and the bottom right corner of the neck, where it sits deepest in the pocket, toward the g string side, has a chunk of the wood that broke off still in the neck pocket since the screws are still in the body and haven't been removed. It isn't broken all the way through to the finger board though.

It's looking very unlikely I'll be finding a replacement neck online anywhere, at least not a fretless. My biggest question is, if this can't be repaired by a luthier, are there any known epiphone replacement necks that would work for this bass?

I feel bad for the guy because it's his only bass, and I just sold him my old bass amp, so now he's got nothing to play through it. He was so depressed over it that he wouldn't talk to me about it over the phone, and he had it hidden under a blanket so he didn't have to look at it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

I'll try to get some pics of the disaster on here as soon as I can.

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Yes, it can be repaired by a competent luthier...but not cheaply. Almost all wood breaks can be repaired, provided all the pieces are present.

He was extremely careless and thoughtless (read: STOOOOPID) to leave a bass unprotected, but the folks where it was left should pay for the repair. It obviously was knocked off the stand - and hard - by those in the home.

3. RFord04

RFord04

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    Yeah, definitely a dumb move, but he's not the first guy ever to trust his friends... That being said, I really hope the other guy pays for the repair because it was his fault.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020