Epiphone El Capitan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by weeding, Dec 16, 2005.

1. weeding

May 17, 2005
    I've been on holiday in Brisbane (Queensland, AUS) for the last couple of days, and have been spending a bit of time in a music shop in the main mall of the city. Looking around the bass selection, which wasn't huge there were quite a lot of Fenders, a few Musicmans and a few Ibanez's. However, one that caught my eye was an acoustic Epi called the El Capitan. Now before picking it up I played a more expensive Ibanez acoustic and another obscure acoustic (the brand of which I can't remember and have never heard of before). Both of these basses sounded terrible, really cold and harsh, not what I would ever like from an acoustic. But then I picked up the Epi, which was priced at A$1099 (note the A$!!!!!!!!!!). The bass was amazing. Nice to play, very easy neck to jump about on, good contstruction and a piezo. But it was the sound that killed me. Beautiful warm, lovely tones. Perfect for jazz, blues, reggae and maybe some softer rock. I really didn't expect so much from a relatively cheap acoustic. When I went to plug it in, the best amps they had there were Hartke solid state 250w, which sounded as cold bad porridge (don't get me started on a shop not having a single valve bass amp, yet a wall of Fender guitar valve..... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ). But even through a very cold sounding amp, the warmth of this bass came through amazingly, I'd love to hear it through something valve powered and lush. It also had a great thump to it when the lows were cranked up. All around a bloody great bass. If I'm ever looking for an acoustic this will be on the list as priority No.1, especially as far as price goes. So if you are looking for an acoustic then check this out immediately. If you already own one, share what you think as I'd love to hear from someone who gets to use own as their own bass!!!!
  2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I have one and it's everything you said it was.
    I just used it in a live radio promo for an upcoming gig.

I really like the XLR out...makes it easy to interface with a mixer.
    It's a great value and a really nice instrument.
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    On my first ABG quest, I played a ton of high end ABG's, and then I played an El Capitan, and it blew me away. I figured I must have been out of my gourd when I played it, because how could a Korean made Epi be better than the Guilds and Martins I was playing? So I passed on it. Later, I came across three more El Capitans that I played, but which really didn't do much for me. Then, six months or so later, I went back and played that exact same El Cap that I liked the first time, and this time around I liked it even more (plus, I had just come from playing the Guild and the Martin that were vying for my dollar)! So, I picked it up and I've been thrilled ever since. To me, the moral of the story is that not ever El Capitan sounds/plays the same, but if you find a good one, they can compete with just about anything (including my Tacoma Thunderchief).

Great score!