Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone Elitist: worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, May 14, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    [rant] Since San Diego is apparently at the end of the supply chain, we almost never see anything even slightly out of the ordinary here (except the boutique stuff at Bass Alone), so I'll probably never see an Elitist in person. [/rant]

Anybody try one, particularly the EB-3? Did you think it was worth a thousand bux? I just get the short-scale urge from time to time.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have played one, it was a very nice bass. The huge "mudbucker" pickup at the neck really didn't sound all that muddy to me (Precisionish with a little more bottom) and the neck pickup was really bright.

With two volumes, two tones, and a five way varitone switch there were plenty of tones to be had. I like the fingerstyle and pickstyle sounds (great for vintage, deep bass stuff) but I was really surprised to find an awesome, vintage sounding slap tone in there.

Can't comment on standing balance, but it didn't dive while sitting so a big strap would probably eighty-six the legendary neck dive of these models.

The only problem I saw with the bass could be the varitone switch, it felt a little weak.

Hope that helped
    Adam Barkley

3. Ive played an Elitist T-Bird and it was exactly the same as the Gibo in everywhere bar the log plus the have relocated the strap button to avoid neck dive...

great instruments and u can save urself a few hundred quid on the orig...so u can buy a proper official case :p...

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Centre City Music in Downtown San Diego is a Gibson-only dealer and, at least in the past, has stocked virtually the entire Epiphone line. I'd be surprised if Saul (the owner) doesn't have one for you to check out. They're just down the street from Horton Plaza.

5. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Man, that's right! I'm always forgetting about them. I'll have to call and check. Thanks.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Is the elitist one of those epiphones made in Japan with USA hardware and pickups?. I remember almost 2 years ago reading of such a line of basses starting up.

7. The Elitist Thunderbird has different pickups than the US Gibson or the Epiphone Korean model.

8. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Ron, nice to see you here. I've talked to you in the past (on the "other" board) under another name, and it seems like we've done some business a while back.

Major - The Elitist EB-3 is advertised as having US pickups.

9. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Oh, also - regarding the "mudbucker"- I found a thread over at the Dudepit regarding this bass, and one of the guys said that he thought the Elitist pup was less muddy than the original Gibbys, which is a plus in my book.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you, did you guys here of the line of Epiphone i was talking about?.

11. 'ello Sir Flatwound, long time !... the "other" board. ugh. v:O)

Curious...about them Elitist pups... they're chome, and more "guitar humbucker" than trad. T-bird pups. and they have large plastic pup surrounds...
    [​IMG]

Are they Rio Grande Bulldogs? I always wanted to try those!

(I know I'm going out on a limb here...)