Epiphone Embassy: Wanderlust Green Metallic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raman, May 24, 2021.

1. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Suddenly craving a bass...

Capture.PNG

2. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    That’s the one to crave. And they have it in the Long McQuade stores around here.

Raman likes this.
  3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I really want that one at some point. Love the Thunderbird sound but for sure won't be able to gel with the Thunderbird ergonomics.

butterfingers1 likes this.
  4. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    The Embassy is the most normal Epiphone bass, with the special Thunderbird pickups. It feels compact and lightweight.

I am a Fender/Squier precision bass guy, but I have a fetish for Epiphones, and the Embassy is the one to have.

Raman likes this.
  5. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I completely agree!

6. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    Dark but articulate, dry punchy tone. Just the two-point bridge not as practical as could be, but already much better than the 3-point on other Epiphones. The simple retro colours are nice, this new second generation out this year are metallic sparkle colours. Overall classy and classic and inexpensive.

Raman likes this.
  7. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    I have the 2017 Antique Ivory from the first generation. Many of the 2018-19 ones had bridge position problems and were apparently impossible to intonate. Mine is borderline.

The nut began to disintegrate the first time I changed strings. Last month what was left came clean out of the slot. It is at the shop being repaired. I still recommend it.

Raman likes this.
  8. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    After all this, it's quite an endorsement that you'd still recommend it!

Is it me or Epiphone seems very hit-or-miss in quality? Seems like many of their models I've checked out over the years came with at least a few stories like this.

9. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    Epiphones start off with design and ergonomic flaws. And yes they seem to have quality control issues according to many owners on this forum.

Still they are beautiful, old-fashioned, iconic and inexpensive.

From my point of view, if you have a Fender/Squier type of bass there is not much point in getting anything else. Except an Epiphone. All of them. But the Embassy first as it is their best model.

My nut repair is frustrating but not expensive.

Raman likes this.
  10. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    729CB565-DEFE-411D-A698-800B52D0DE0A.jpeg F7EB6E32-C67B-427C-8084-4D4C7C5E7F3C.jpeg Got it back Friday with a new custom-made bone nut, that won’t give me problems anymore.

The professional setup and intonation is flawless, the bridge E string saddle even has a little more room. I definitely don’t have the bridge position problem of the 2018 batch (mine is 2017).

It is 34 inch scale, but you can see how it is more compact next to the Squier precision bass.

Raman, Barton Lee and Matt Liebenau like this.
  11. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    I am a bit surprised the pro setup is so much nicer than mine. I was never able to get the intonation quite right on the Embassy. The overall clean up is really nice too.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021