Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone Exp V and T-Bird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SantasCabanaBoy, Feb 5, 2001.

1. SantasCabanaBoy

SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    Are the Epiphone explorer flying V and Thunderbird any good for their price tag of $300-$400???

How do they compare to a Mexican Fender???
    I am looking to buy a cheap new backup and I am trying to get somthing other than a fender. Thank you.

2. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I own an Epiphone T-Bird, and I really like it. I've tried Yamahas, Fender, Ibanez, Squier, Alvarez, Peavey, Washburn.... and I haven't found a bass that feels so good in your hands (for the price). I got acustomed to this bass and to me it feels very different from others. The neck is long, the frets are medium sized, there's a curved area over the pickup covers on which you can rest your thumb very comfortably.

Maybe the sound isn't "as good" as some other more expensive basses, but I really love my T-bird's sound and I only paid $340 for it. A lot of people will tell you to get a Fender, but I really don't like 'em. They're great basses but they don't feel as comfortable to me as the T-Bird.

This is all my opinion, so try the basses you like if you can before you buy.

Good Luck...

3. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Havent played the v, but the T-bird is cool, I didnt like the way it played finger-style or slap, but it plays great with a pick, narrow string placement. Both are usually in the three hundred range.