Epiphone Explorer & Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Oct 19, 2006.

1. I was in a shop the other day testing some basses. Played the thunderbird & enjoying it... then, by some miracle this really pointy creature caught my eye. I thought - pick it up, you might not ever see one again... and, you MIGHT like it. So, I tried it & instantly started enjoying that deep, thick, low rumble that I enjoy so much. (just as a side note, I really enjoy the tones of the late-great Allen Woody of Gov't Mule)

My question -- what are the differences between the Thunderbird & Explorer, aside from the obvious. I found the tones to be quite different. I know the bodies/bridges/# of frets/pickup placement are different. Are the pickups different? The explorer sure seemed a lot hotter. Could have been string height.

I am really fighting the looks of the Explorer (I prefer the TB's looks) but this tone was my tone. I instantly enjoyed it. I will probably go back for this bass - but, wanted to get more information on it first.

thanks, jh

2. 311fan

311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    I am pretty sure they both have the same pickups but they are in different locations on the body. The Explorer has a warmer sound because of it.

3. The explorer is cooler. IMO

4. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    The Explorer is set neck I bleeb which gives it less "snap" like a bolt on bass would (Epi Tbird). The bridges and pups should be the same. The body wood looks like Korina but that is only a veneer like the fake mahogany veneer on the Epi Tbird, but I don't know what the real body wood is( the tbird has an alder body under its veneer).

5. I grabbed it... brought it home last night. Black Explorer bass & man does this thing sound BIG. It is a very full, boomy, almost 'muddy.' I like it very much. The looks -- well, that will take a lil getting used to.... but, man o' man the tone.

The bridges are different & this one is very much like a BadAss with a very thick piece at the bottom of the bridge. Being the way the strings are so lower to the body - this could be as to why it seems hotter than the Tbird. I can't wait to hear it thru my SVT stack!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021