epiphone Explorer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blakec3686, Apr 15, 2001.

1. blakec3686

Dec 14, 2000
    i am thinking of buying an epiphone explorer bass but dont know alot about it . does any one have any info or comments for me?
  2. bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    I played an epiphone thunderbird once.....ONCE!
    I don't have any experience with their basses, but,
    the guitarist for a band I used to be in had an Epiphone les paul special guitar, it sounded ok, but I wasn't impressed with the way he had to re-tune every ten minutes because the neck was so unstable, and that was a guitar!!
    I figure if they can't build a decent neck for a guitar, their basses are hopeless
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I figure it is quite unwise to conclude that all Epiphone basses are hopeless based on a negative experience with a guitar.

Some Epi basses I've played have been quite good; others were very average. I owned an EBM-5 fretless and it was a very nice instrument, had good B string tension and sound.

However, I've never played an Explorer, so I won't offer an opinion...

Oh, wait -- I once played an Epiphone guitar and it was really good -- so I guess that means that all Epi basses are good, too, right??
  4. i haven't played the explorer either but i have a rivoli 2 and have played the jack cassady and both are real nice basses.
    personally i was blow away buy the quality vs. price.

on the other hand i have played a epi. eb-1 fretless didn't do much for me.
  5. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Is the Explorer the one with the inverted headstock? What is the scale length?
  6. blakec3686

Dec 14, 2000
    34 and no it has the same kinde of body that james hetfield of metallica
  7. JJR

Jan 7, 2001
    I bought an Epi Explorer a few months back just for fun (it's not my main bass or even my #10 bass but it's cool to have).

I found the quality of construction to be just fine for the price and overall the bass looks and sounds pretty good for what it is. I believe Epiphone can make some quality instruments when they want to (and I'm pretty sure the Epi's are made from the same tooling as the Hamer Explorers which Korea has been making for 15 years now).

If you haven't played one yet, my only complaints are that the neck is as thick as a telephone pole (seriously, it's damn thick for no explainable reason) and the balance is quite poor (very neck heavy). I've also found that there is just no way to look as cool as a guitar player when playing one... you just can't play a bass down at your knees where the explorer needs to be! :)

8. I played a Hamer explorer bass once. It was pretty nice. It sounded kinda like a Jazz bass. It was very heavy tho. The neck was huge.
  9. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    I tried the explorer and also found the neck to be very thick as well. It does have the toggle switch on the front for adjusting the tone,similar to the cassadies I assume, and volume and tone knobs for each pickup. Of all the Epiphone solid bodies that I played I liked the tone the most.

It has a metalic tone, I don't play metal but I think it would be dead on for that style.