Epiphone Explorer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHaven, Mar 1, 2005.

1. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I'm a novice bass player. I've been playing about 1.5 years now and I guess i'm fairly decent since I meet all the requirements of my band and then some. I've been playing a Cort Action bass through a 65W Kustom amp. Anyway, I was leaning towards an Epiphone for my next bass and I'm thinking of the Explorer or the Thunderbird. Anyone have any good reviews? I've searched the forums and didn't find anything about it.
  2. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Explorer- :spit: ( guitars are cool, but the bass looks gay and sounds worse)
    T-bird- I like mine, if you fix the neck dive and realize there isn't much tonal variation on the bass- but that's where the amp comes in...
    although it really stinks that you have to buy a special Epiphone case for it, it's huge, and cheaply constructed...
  3. You could drive a car underneath the action on the Explorer that I tried... So no, I wouldn't bother
  4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I'd suggest jumping on the Brice T-Bird that their selling at rondomusic.net. I've heard good things about them and REALLY wish that I had the money right now to pick one up.
  5. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Dont bother with the explorer, they sound really really bad, and the bodyshape gets old really really quickly!
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Forget the Explorer. Heavy, chunky and sounds like hell. Body style gets annoying pretty quick (owned an Exp. shaped Aria Bass and couldn't wait to get rid of it) and frankly, they just look dumb IMO.

Believe it or not some people like the Epi Thunderbirds better than the Gibsons. They're lighter, sound pretty good, and that's all I can think of. Never liked one enough to not put back on the shelf right away myself.

By recommendation. Fender.