Epiphone Explorer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Systemofadowner, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Systemofadowner

Feb 24, 2002
    What do you guys think about this large bass. I just got it off rbay for a lot cheaper than the actual price. and not used at all. I love the shape and it plays nicely. But it is hard to fit in your hands and is more of a performance bass. I am going to install EMGs too. Do you think I made the right choice by buying this bass?
  2. Honestly man, it doesn't matter what we think about the bass YOU bought. If you like the sound you get from it and the playability of it and YOU like the bass then that's all that really matters.
    Personally I like the explorer body shape, though as most will probably tell you. It's shape that's more recognized in rock music then in jazz or funk. But whatever floats your boat.
  3. Thunderbox

Apr 11, 2002
    Akron, OH
    Until about a month ago, I owned an Epi Explorer. It was the best sounding bass I've ever owned. In rehearsals, it was a dream.

Performance, sad to say, was another story. Because of the placement of the strap buttons, the bass nosedived more than any other bass I've ever played. Also, in order to play on the first fret, it felt like I had to extend my arm out all the way. In addition, mine had a defective neck. The combination of these things tended to give me hand cramps after about half a set. It's a shame, because, as I said before, it sounded great, and of course, it looked really cool. So I traded it in on an Epi Les Paul bass. Sounds almost as good, and much easier to play.

But, it's your decision. What didn't work for me may work for you.

Good luck!
  4. I love the explorer shape!!!! I have an LTD ESP Explorer (a six string guit*r) which I am really impressed with and also a REX2000/5 Spector bass - OK this is not the classic explorer shape, it's a sort of smoother off shrunken explorer.

I found that both have involved a slightly different to my normal playing style - 'cos of the neck heaviness of the bass and 'cos of the extra long strap I got on the git!