1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epiphone Goth Thunderbird IV

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Waspinators, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Does anyone know of any major difference between the Epi Goth T-Bird, and the regular? Is it any heavier or different in sound?

Also the Goth model has flat black paint, that'd be pretty easy to scratch wouldn't it? :meh:

2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

the finish seemed pretty durable.

and the bass seemed freakishly light.

sounded generally bad.

just a dull nondescript sound.

3. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    The woods used are different and I believe the pickups are a tad different too.

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    +1 to more durable finish.

+1 to being fairly light.

+1,000,000,000,000 to sounding bad.

5. Walfy

Walfy

Jun 10, 2006
    I don't know what the Goth one sounds like but I do have the regular one and I would agree with all the comments made thusfar. They apply to the regular one too. About as toneless as they come. Don't know if better pickups would help or if it is just a lost cause.

6. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    the goth edition is a completely different affair to the regular one. it is of a mahogany construction and has different pick-ups i believe.

it's not overly light, but not exactly the heaviest bass in the world. the tone in my opinion is pretty good, not dull at all.

7. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    my guitar player has one (the goth)
    I played yesterday for a few songs
    +1 is made of mahogany
    +1 it's very dark in terms of sound but it's perfect for pick playing, good growl and rock tone, needs to be helped with the right strings.

8. Ive got a "Goth" SG.

It is also lighter than most

I cant see it being the same finish as the thunderbird, as the SG finish doesnt seem to be "that" durable.

The pickups tend to be hotter sounding.

By hotter sounding, i mean crap sounding.

With the SG at least, it sounded good accoustically, so stuck a new bridge pickup in there, and bam! Great tone!

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I had an Epiphone Goth Les Paul. If they're made of the same grade of mahogany, which I suppose they would be, it's more like a rust colored balsa.

10. Love my Goth T bird
    Its beautiful and the finish is awesome. I doupt you could scratch it very easily. Mines "like new" and Ive had it almost 2 years.
    It could use a set of actives but it sounds well. its one of the few basses that gets "WOW' when I pull it out of the case.

11. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Thanks for the replies, I've read reviews on both and in terms of sound and weight (you all say it's lighter than the regular, right?), the Goth would suit me better. And it's safe to assume that the flat black paint is hard to scratch?

Also, do you think it would sound good to play it with fingers?

12. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Bump...