Epiphone in general quality wise...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Does epiphone make good basses, does anyone here have one and like it??? How about the Epiphone EB-3 five string bass??? they got one the new musicians friend.
  2. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    that link didn't work for me??????
  3. I think the best thing Epi makes(talking recent production not vintage)is the Jack Cassidy Signature Model.Several members here own the JC and speak highly of it.

I played an Epi Rivoli a while back.It had a good feel and sound but the big round body was uncomfortable for me to play.
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I have an Epi Jack Casady and it is awesome! I do know that some came out of the factory with some fingerboard separation around the second fret, but that problem was resolved. I bought mine used off of ebay and have not regretted it one second. It's a treat to play and sounds wonderful. I like the EB3 that I played briefly, and would probably pick one up if my wife would let me!

5. My first bass was an Epiphone Accu-bass Jr. Not a bad beginner bass, but I wouldn't play it at a gig. I like the feel of it much better than any fender P I've tried, but the tone is a little more trebley than I would like. Also, the hardware is not so durable-I've had to open 'er up at least twice and once even had to replace the nut!
  6. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I just got rid of an epi Thunderbird... the sound was there, a really nice mid growl, and the bass was solid! Why did I sell it? I just didn't like the neck dive... that really did it for me... besides, somebody on ebay really gave me way too much for it.... I thinkn Epiphone makes some really solid models, and the cost-effectiveness makes them even more attractive...

7. But also the Gibson Thunderbird likes to dive for the ground :eek:
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    In general, Epi's are a good value. I own (and like) the Viola, EB1, Explorer, Jackbass and LP 5. The Viola, in particular, is well worth the dough as it's a Hofner knock-off that sounds considerably better than the original thanks to the bucker p/u's. Also, as has been pointed out, the Casady Signature (Jackbass) is a uniuqe, good-sounding instrument. The Explorer has the loudest set of passive p/u's I've ever heard on a bass, just roaringly loud.
  9. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I think Epiphone quality varies between different models. I have an Epiphone acoustic guitar that I absolutely love. I don't play it much since I became a bass convert but it's a great instrument. I played an Epiphone Les Paul the other day and it felt really cheap. I haven't played any of their basses but it's probably the same story. Some stuff is really good, some stuff sucks.
  10. After looking on their website I found that only one bass, the Accu-bass, was available in a left handed version. Damn it! Do we not exist! :mad:

(I say this because I want a Jack Cassidy!!)
  11. I don't know much about Epiphone basses ('cept I hear a whole lot of good about the Cassicy model), but a friend of mine has an Epiphone Telecaster, and it is freakin' amazing.

So I would have to say that they're pretty good.
  12. The Epiphone Pierced SG Guitar is quite good too
  13. I'd say the overall quality of Epiphone is good. Like Rllefevb and Boogiebass, I own a Jack Casady, and its quality of manufacture is very high. The fretwork is way above average. I won't go into the sound, that's another issue. And I also have played Epi EB-3s a couple of times in the past year, and they seem very well made to me. There are the occasional production glitches, but, on the average I think Epis are of good~very good quality.

Mike J.