Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone jack casady bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Jul 8, 2001.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Is it still available? There was rumors that it had bin discontinued.
    Has anyone used it in the studio? Perhaps someone has a mp3 file with it´s sound?
    Also I have read the review in Bassplayer and their JC bass had problems with several high frets. Is this bad quality common?
    The bass is not available here in Sweden so I would have to import it unseen/unplayed. Is it a big risc because of varying quality? Is it worth the effort and cost to import it?

Rock on!

2. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Im pretty sure they are still available.Quality on these is usually excellent.Far better than most of Epi's other models ive seen.Mine was perfect.If you decide to import id go with BNW.These guys wont send out a defective bass.They're price may be a little higher than others but its worth it for the peace of mind.I got mine from them and highly recomend them.It's a GREAT bass.Good luck!

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Could it replace the fat sound of my ´74 P-bass that I don´t like to play because of it´s wide neck?
    Can anyone try to discribe it´s sounds?

4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have A Jack Casady, and I love it. Willit "replace" a p-bass? Hmmmm, not sure about that. It does have a very fat tone, but not "fendery", really. It is a very warm, pure, and unique tone. A deep and fat low end, a pronouced, but not honky, and sweet midrange which really sings, and clear top end. I know most players use them for "retro" or rootsy playing, but I use mine for solo bass performances. It really sings for chordal playing, and it has a variety of good musical tones in it. The secret is the low impedence pickup an vari-ohm transformer. It's a great bass.
    One thing that sets it apart from "solids" is the semi-hollow design and how that gives you such great dynamic control. This bass really responds to your touch, and can really open you up to some new and expressive playing techniques.
    I have heard you cannot slap on it, but I do. Albeit not the usual "sound like somebody else" thumbwhacking.....the bass has a different kind of tone, a different kind of response, and I make that work for me....
    All in all, it's a great bass. Check out my review of it here at TB (link on the homepage)
    Max

5. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I think your best bet would be to contact the Hot Tuna web page or Jorma's Fur peace ranch site.From there you can inquire as to(perhaps)on which of they're CD's Jack used the bass and hear what it sounds like.Who knows,you might even get a reply from Jack himself.I did.Good luck!