Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone Jack Casady info

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Sep 24, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I am really raelly near buying a Jack CAsady bass in gold.

[​IMG]

i love the thing but i would like to hear some samples of this bass recorded. my request is about the three position varitone settings! how this change the sound?
    do you have any or do you know where can i find them!

thanks and i really hope to be part of the family soon!

2. Oh my God! Marco, that's excellent news. :cool:

All I ever do is preach about this bass, but, I don't have any links to give you as far as the 3 position varitone switch right now. I'll try to describe how it changes the sound without writing a book.

It has three settings: 50 - 150 - 500

At 50 - This setting has the lowest output and perhaps the sweetest tone. On this setting the bass produces an almost acoustic type tone. Bass, middle and treble all seem to be about the same. On this setting the bass has a very "woody" resonant tone. Almost like it's not an electric bass at all.

150 - This settting gives it a more or less "normal" tone. By this I mean it sounds a lot like an acoustic P-bass. It has noticeably more midrange than the 50 setting, a little more output and a little more bottom and high end. A Jack Casady sounds something like a Fender Precision bass, but, it is much less percussive than a P-bass. This, I believe is what gives it it's great clarity especially when playing chords.

500 - This is the "Monster" sound. On this setting, the output goes up quite a bit. The midrange increases by a lot and you loose some high end. This setting will cut through just about anything and although this is the setting I use the least, this is the setting that makes this bass so versatile.

So, with these three settings you get an instrument that sounds almost like an upright bass with frets to something that could be used for metal. AND... all in a passive bass.

I'll write more later, lunch is over.

Marco, you made me so happy just considering one.

Later.

Mike J.

This link you probably know about already: www.casadybass.com :)

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Jackbasses rule. Thanx for the check, Mikey.

4. Man, that was Jack-rabbit fast! :eek:

I'll PM you later.

Nice photos, huh? ;)

Mike J.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Whew. Mercy.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I will be ordering one soon also, i am very happy because this bass is one of the best i have ever played. They really are much better then the acoustic bass. The only down side to it is i really dont like playing a bass with some one elses name on it but they are so good i can over look it :)

7. I'd post more, but, I have a cold and feel like garbage. More tomorrow people.

MIke J.

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Michael pretty much nails the 'Vari-Ohm' switch settings. Great sounding bass, especially through 15's... Seriously, this bass was a big factor in my decision to go for a 2 1X15 rig!

I love the 50 and 150 settings but found that my 2X10 combo couldn't accurately reproduce the breathiness and subtleties at gig volumes. The 500 setting is a snarling beast that cut through with no problems and I found myself going to this setting most often... After I completed the rig below and gigged with this setup, I find that I can hang with 50 all night long. Huge, open, true bass sound! Songs like 'Dock of the Bay', 'Stand By Me', 'Last Kiss' really respond to that breathiness...

-robert

[​IMG]

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Wow!! never seen one in black!! really a beauty, it matches wonderfully your hat!

so if i am correct that position 50 is more double bass sounding, the 150 is similar to a Precision bass and the 150 is the wild setting good for rock.

is it true?

the one i am after is finished in gold!
    :D

10. I have a correction to make: The three settings are: 50 - *250* - 500. Sorry everyone. My mistake.

Marco, what you said above is 100% accurate. The 500 setting is best for Metal or any kind of heavy music. The 250 setting is what I call the regular setting and yes, it does sound close to a P-bass, but, it's a more "open" P-Bass type sound. The 50 setting has to be heard to understand it. It's very mellow and has an acoustic quality to it.

Another thing I love about this bass is that the pickup is very responsive to the tone controls on your amp. Although I've never done it, this bass probably sounds excellent when recorded. I also use the Casady most of the time with my Yamaha NE-1 EQ. As good as it sounds straight through an amp, it sounds much more versatile through the NE-1. I would love to hear it through a Sansamp or Sadowsky pre-amp.

I know I keep saying the same things over and over, but, I honestly think that 9 out of 10 people would love the sound of this bass even if they say they're not into semi-hollow bodies or passive instruments. When I first got mine I liked its sound right away, but, it took a few practice sessions until I realized what a gorgeous tone was coming out of my amp.

What more can I say? This bass is amazing.

Good luck, I hope you decide to get one.

Mike J.

I'll try to look for some sound bites today.

Rllefebv, they look dynamite in black! :cool: