Epiphone Jack Casady JCB-1 Pickup Height

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Coolhandjjl, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Tweaking my new Epi 20th Anniversary Jack Casady. Lots of info on string height starting points, but nothing on the pickup height. Anyone have some recommendations? Those 4 screws make for a very cumbersome adjustment.

2. I asked Epiphone for their specs and methods. Here's what I got:

Don't fret the strings for the first step.

Measure from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string. The gap, or action should be 7/64th of an inch for the E string, 5/64th for the G string.

(The gap from the top of the pick up to the bottom of the stings is set when you fret at the highest fret, in case you wanted to know).

I bought drill bits of each of these sizes to act as gap gauges (use the blank end, not the twisted sharp part. I set the drills into wine corks and have the blank ends sticking out. Write on the corks so you which is which. Drill blanks are very accurate in their dimensions, and they are very inexpensive. I did this for about 3 dollars.

The Epiphone dimensions are excellent and my bass has great punch, sustain and tone. Because the JC bass is hollow it, like acoustic guitars, is prone to dimensional changes from summer heat and humidity, as well as winter heating season dryness. The action should be checked a couple times a year because of this, or if you change string types, or string gauges. Do your fine intonation adjustments from the small screws below the strings on the bridge.

3. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    But what is the spacing from the strings to the pickup? Is it those same numbers?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  4. Coolhadjjl:
    Sorry that I left out exactly what you asked about. The measurement is 5/64 inches at the middle of the pickup under the strings when the strings are depressed at the highest fret.