1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone Jack Casady Really is All That

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThuzzleFump, Dec 10, 2017.

1. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    I'm a known bass hoarder. OTOH, I do play them, too. I was rotating through a bunch of my faves this AM, laying down some grooves, and I picked up my EJC. This one really does deserve the accolades. It's inexpensive, beautifully made, and has a huge, gorgeous sound. I have no problems with the old-school bridge...so far.

If you ever want to add a semi-hollow to your collection, and want to do it on the cheap, this is a real winner. Plus for many of us is that it's a 34 inch scale, not a shorty like many hollow and semi-hollow instruments.

Here's a couple pics. One shows me with some of my faves in the BG...but that's just to show that I hold this one in high esteem and it's in some good company: the Marcos are also superb. Happy playing to all.

2. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Two things I forgot: it's autographed, which maybe makes it magic, and I worry sometimes about posting pics online but I am always reminded that I have vicious dogs and a security system to back up my six-foot fence at Casa de Thuz.

McG likes this.
  3. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    I've heard that once the autograph is added, those basess IMMEDIATELY start sounding like they're being played through a Versatone Pan-O-Flex...

4. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    By Gum, I believe you've deciphered this infernal conundrum! I have puzzling over this for weeks. By the beard of the legendary Zeus himself, I give you my most sincere thanks!

5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Yeah, well... they'd be a whole bunch more wonderful if Epiphone would get their finger out, and make some leftys!!!! :banghead::banghead:

6. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Sorry, Gib, I did not know that. They should! It's a popular model and they would sell them. Definite non-zero suckage factor making righties only. :(

7. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    I've mostly been immune to amp and pedal GAS. Let's hope you have not ignited that fire.

corndog and Old Blastard like this.
  8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I have no need for any more basses, I really love the ones I have, and there’s no situation I could find myself in where at least one couldn’t do the job perfectly. But for some reason I’ve been tempted more and more lately by hollows and semi-hollows. And even though I only play fives, the Jack Casady is the one that looks most interesting to me.

Very nice bass!

Raman, Nunovsky and ThuzzleFump like this.
  9. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    We don't know where you live.

10. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    "But for some reason I’ve been tempted more and more lately by hollows and semi-hollows."

Resistance is futile: you will be absorbed.

---Sincerely, The Guild Starfire BassBorg Collective

*prepares set of Bi-Sonic pups for implantation into dave64o's cerebrum*

11. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    The internet knows all.

Old Blastard likes this.
  12. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Thanks! I waited a long time to pick one up, partly because I was skeptical. But it really is nice and there are not a ton of long scale hollowbody models around... I'm very happy with it. I have other hollow and semis, and this one compares well with any of them. I don't know if they've moved production to China. I favor Korean models lately... they are exceptional at mass production. Fit and finish are superb. Long story short, if you want to dip a toe into semi hollow, you could do a whole lot worse.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    McG likes this.
  13. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    i really would like to have one to accompany my starcaster semi-hollow. but the prices seem to have risen steeply the last couple years!

sigterm, Old Blastard and ThuzzleFump like this.
  14. I got my JCB nine months ago (so it's now a full term birth) and I am nothing but happy with its sound and playability. It gets a lot of positive comments when I play out with it. I'm glad you like yours, too.

15. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    If the Epi JC bass is good enough for Brian Ray (who plays in Paul McCartney's band), then it's good enough for an average joe like me!

Paul%20M.jpg

brian%20ray.jpg

16. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    I've seem 'em used as low as $545 with case. I dunno what they were before.

godofthunder59 and Old Blastard like this.
  17. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    Jack has always been a bass player that I've admired since day one so when his signature bass came out my interest was piqued. I know that I'm in the minority on this but, unfortunately, I don't find it a comfortable bass to play unless you wear it lower than I prefer [see Brain Ray photo above]. That and being a long scale with a thicker neck than I prefer just took it out of contention as a practical addition to the herd. If I needed something like this I'd look at the Guild Starfire or Hagstrom Viking basses. Thinner necks. Short scale. Easier to play - for me. Glad everyone else finds them to their liking. :thumbsup:

Pet Sounds and ThuzzleFump like this.
  18. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    IMG_3685.JPG Mine was an interesting trip. I bought a "blemished" model for $550 but the only blemish was a ducky jack and loose controls that made it impossible to play.

Bought through a local shop owned by a big company and their tech did some warranty work, I paid for a new Switchcraft and the game was on.

It is a bit ungainly unless you wear it lower, the neck is like a baseball bat in my small hands and it sings beautifully. Took awhile to get used to it, but I love it now.

wmmj, IamGroot, MrBassman17 and 3 others like this.
  19. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Funny, I dug mine out last night too and was thinking the same thing. I don’t think there’s another bass in this price range that you see on as many big stages and which has the same eye-catching power.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  20. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Great photo, i've seen Brian play live with Macca but didn't notice the little strip of foam at the bridge. I guess he's going for that classic 60's tone with flats

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2020