Epiphone Jack Casady: what's the wrap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raman, Apr 28, 2021.

1. I put Tusq XL on mine :thumbsup:
    Can't fault the factory plastic one, it is an Epiphone after all.

halech54 likes this.
  2. halech54

halech54

Jul 15, 2015
    Richmond VA,
    I've owned two and have sold both. One I maybe didn't truly give a fair shake (never got it setup etc..) the other I did all of the Hipshot upgrades, got it properly setup etc.. For me at least, it did something really similar to a precision bass, but never as well. I continually was trying to get it to where I wanted it to be, and yet consistently trying to upgrade it. Sounds great though with an acoustic guitar, check the video, pairs well in a mix with one.

3. OK, it's show & tell time. This is my very first bass acquired in 2016 (yes, I'm one of those dirty 6-stringers). This one was Pandora's box for me and bass guitar. The finish is "Chicago Blue Pearl" (sexy, I know) and I added a Tusq XL nut, Grover tuners, Hipshot bridge, and amber chicken head knob to the Vari-Tone 3-pos switch.

thumbnail1.jpg

halech54, BassBrass and bassobrutto like this.
  4. The Jackbass is a very nice, and different instrument.
    I've always loved hollow/semi hollow body instruments.
    As bassdude51 said, it sounds like a Precision, but not nearly as percussive as Precision.
    It sounds sort of like a hollow body P-bass to me, yet it has its own sound.
    I would suggest buying one as soon as you can.
    They are different and they are special in my opinion.

Good luck.

Mike :thumbsup:

5. Here's mine. I've had it 20 years and still love it.
    Jack_2.jpg

Sorado71, ajkula66, KPJ and 4 others like this.
  6. Here's a video by Ed Friedland.
    The playing starts at about .58 on the clock.
    This Jackbass sounds so good; then again, Ed Friedland is playing. ;)

7. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Yeah, that video first got me intrigued about them. The last bit with the OD is just great!

Michael Jewels likes this.
  8. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015
    I may be a bit a spoilsport here, but you often hear folks talking about the P-bass adjacent tone they get from their JC bass. I'm happy to have mine but as someone who's been playing a Precision for over 30 years, there's something to be said for just going for the Fender, which is a less fragile and easier to maintain instrument compared to the Epiphone. That's sort of a lesson I've been coming to after many years of playing. There are other cool instruments out there but the Precision is still the reference point and the one that can get it done most of the time, if not almost every time.

halech54, Raman and Portamenti like this.
  9. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Agree, but no way should anyone buy a Casady expecting a P bass substitute. Its its own animal and can probably out smooth or out grind a Pbass. imho. I do love my Pbass as well. oy did I open a can of worms.

10. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    I picked up this JC about a year and a half ago. It came with Hipshot bridge and tuners for a little over $400. I love it, it’s my #1. This will be the last one to go when I sell them off. B133B8E8-623F-4375-82C7-C19329144007.jpeg

Michael Jewels, Portamenti and Raman like this.
  11. Portamenti

Portamenti

Jan 2, 2021
    If I’m spending your money, I say buy.

you can grab a p-bass for roundwounds on any old day, as has been said.

the hollowbody does change the attack and decay of the notes - so if you already like this bass, it’s going to be different enough from your P-Bass in future.

after not playing bass for about 15 years, a tribute SB-2 followed me home from a string run. This will forever be my P with flats.
    I scored a cheap Dean Rhapsody HB which is a hollow p-sized box. There’s something a little different about the sound.

if they made one of these Fretless, I’d be all over it.

Raman likes this.
  12. Out smooth or out grind.

I like that! ;)

Well said, Johnny.:thumbsup:

JohnnyBottom likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I think they're pretty decent, but they don't knock me out.

14. xposaune

xposaune Gold Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2015
    I looked at these and really wanted one for years and finally took the plunge on a 2014 Alpine White in great shape. I love how they look and sound. Mine sounded great with low tension flats but I couldn't deal with the ergonomics. The strap pins make the bass fall away from you. Neck dive is a thing but that can be addressed with the right strap. One strap pin can be moved to the horn but that requires some mods that are documented here in a few threads. For me it wasnt different enough from a p bass to adapt to the ergonomics. I really wanted to like it. Might change my mind some day who knows.

halech54 and Raman like this.
  15. Maybe it's just me, but I can't hear much of a difference between the 50 and 250 settings. Super cool sounding bass, and I want one, but those two settings are not very distinct.

16. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015
    I always play with some light drive and find that as you move toward the higher setting the crunch definitely gets more noticeable. When everything is clean it just seems a little bit louder and less bright and nothing more.

Raman likes this.
  17. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Allen Woody for the win ....
    He shoots, he scores!

halech54 and Michael Jewels like this.
  18. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    The 50 setting has more lows and highs, 250 a little less lows and highs ergo more mid presence , 500 even less lows and highs and more mid presence. That mid presence could be i terpretted as volume.

Raman likes this.
  19. The Deep

The Deep

Jul 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    The thing that’s steered me away from one of these are the rampant reports of neck dive issues.

I abhor neck dive.

marc40a and Raman like this.
  20. I played mine tonight.
    It sounded so good, but then again, I haven't played it in over a month.
    I keep a practice journal.

I find that if I don't play mine for a while, it takes a little time for me to get used to the flat, chunky Gibson-type neck.
    But the reward is the sound.
    I have D'Addario NYXLs on mine.
    I think I will put a set of flats on soon.

Mike

Raman likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021