Epiphone Jack Casady: what's the wrap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raman, Apr 28, 2021.

1. My Jackbass when there's no one home.
    Jack_4.jpg

Sorado71 and ajkula66 like this.
  2. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015
    May not be a popular opinion but Gibson/Epiphone do sunburst better than Fender.

3. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    She's a beauty!

I don't necessarily think the Casady is the prettiest instrument. The most common "gold with a yellowish-beige pup" color scheme also really doesn't do it for me.
    But yours is gorgeous.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Sorado71 and Michael Jewels like this.
  4. Thank you, Raman. ;)

Mine is sunburst, obviously, and from what I understand, these were only made in the first few batches. Mine was made in 1999.

A short story.
    In the year, 2000, I used to frequent another, much smaller bass site.
    I began enquiring about the Jack Casady bass, as I had always loved the look of a hollow body bass.
    A member at this other site suggested that I come over to Talkbass, and I did. This was, November 2000. I'm sorry, but I've forgotten his name.
    The rest is history. :thumbsup:

I couldn't find a Jackbass to try in person, so I ordered one online without ever having seen or played one in real life.

One of the best purchases I've made in my life.

And, the cherry on the top was Talkbass. :hyper:
    Mike

SDC1-ClickClack, Sorado71 and Raman like this.
  5. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    The JC Sig. is a great bass! Serious tone machine. The Electar pickup is a very powerful and a beautiful sounding pickup.

Sorado71 and Raman like this.
  6. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Varitone had appeared on various Gibson basses since 1961, not always performing the same function. The bass that you're interested in is effectively a replica of the short-lived Gibson Les Paul Signature Bass.

My take on JC is that it's an interesting instrument that could wear many hats, but I'm not happy with its ergonomics. Whether that aspect would be a problem for you is impossible for me to say but I'd highly recommend trying before buying...

xposaune and Raman like this.
  7. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    You sum it all up beautifully.

EatS1stBassist and ajkula66 like this.
  8. It's interesting how many professional musicians have used this bass in live performances.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  9. Sorado71

Sorado71 Sunn since 1971! Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2010
    St. Louis, Mo.
    I bought my first one, a sunburst, when they came out in '98. Eventually sold it for no real reason but then bought and sold others (another sunburst, a silverburst, white, black, 20th and blue royale). Wonderful basses, remarkable tone. If you want more high end, just use roundwounds and work with your EQ. Of the three I have now, the 20th anniversary model has Dean Markley rounds and the other two TI Jazz Flats. jcsb blue sb red IMG_4287 (002).jpg

Buying a good strap eliminates the neck dive. (That solved the neck dive on my Gibson EB-4L, too.)

10. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Beautiful!

Sorado71 and oldandbold like this.
  11. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Very nice. I wouldn't know which to choose!

Sorado71 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  12. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    Sorado71 and Raman like this.
  13. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Endorsing Artist: Gr Bass, Pyramid Strings, MPE Audio
    I was in a hunt for a good semi hollow bass and for years I've played a Eastwood Classic 4. It's a great (medium scale) bass but the more gigs where coming in the less I was getting used to the medium scale.
    Said that I didn't want to spend a fortune on that kind of bass so I began researching for options.
    The Casady was basically in everyone's top 3 list therefor I decided to give him a shot.
    Man.. what a bass.. and for that price ? Incredible.
    It's surely a keeper and you won't be disappointed at all.

My 2 cents is that is worth every dollar. Great sounding, well balanced, 3 toggle switch that's giving you, surprisingly, lots of tonal options + if you mind about that, it's a normal 34" scale so it's like playing a "normal bass".

14. halech54

halech54

Jul 15, 2015
    Richmond VA,
    ^^^^ THIS

EatS1stBassist and lowendrv like this.
  15. Wibble666

Wibble666

Apr 20, 2021
    If you only want that pbass tone then sure get pbass but pbass can’t cover the ground of a jc.

16. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Sorado71 likes this.
  17. halech54

halech54

Jul 15, 2015
    Richmond VA,
    YMMV, but gigs where I was playing the Casady, I wish I had my precision

burpgun likes this.
  18. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Hartsdale, NY
    One of my favorite basses. I made the following changes… replaced the original bridge with a Hipshot… removed the pick guard… moved the upper strap button to the upper horn which solved the neck dive issue

Raman likes this.
  19. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    Small guy, monster sound !

Raman and bholder like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021