Epiphone Jack Casady

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russjm, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Anyone tried one ?
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Pretty cool thing. Very light weight, and feels pretty strange - I mean, like an ordinary plank but very light, and well balanced dispite the impressive neck.

Soundwise, the simplicity of the electronics would give you the wrong ideas. It is very versatile, with a solid base tone. Tone is solid, not the bass....

It's rather a peculiar monster...I think you'd better try one yourself!! ;)
  3. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Yeah, I own one plus an original Gibson Les paul Signature from which the Epi was copied. It is a very nice bass for the money. The neck is bigger than the LPS but very conforatble for finger play and it sounds really, really good. However, The LPS does sound fuller, warmer and richer. I think every bass player should own at least one hollowbody and this would be a very good one to own.
  4. I'll have my Jack Casady 4 years this January. (wow !!!)

It's a very warm sounding bass that I feel sounds something like a P-bass, if they made a hollow-body model. It isn't as percussive as a P-bass, but you can get some very subtle tones out of them. On the lowest of its 3 settings, it can almost sound like an upright with frets.

Excellent bass for:

Grateful Dead
    Beach Boys
    Bluegrass (although Bluegrass is supposed to be acoustic I believe :confused: )
    Folk music

Naturally, you can use any bass for any style of music, but the above mentioned styles suit the Casady bass best, IMHO.

Do a search; there should be a lot of old posts about the Jackbass in there.

5. Thanks fellas, I'm certainly going to check one out. :)

6. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    You should also look at the Lakland Skyline Hollowbody. It too, is a very nice bass.