Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone Jack Cassady Colors?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassarm, Sep 27, 2000.

1. bassarm

bassarm

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey There,

I was looking at the Epiphone Jack Cassady basses recently and am thinking about purchasing one. The one's in the stores here all seem to be the gold top one. Recently the Sunburst models have been blown out on numerous websites and auctionhouses. I haven't seen one of them in person. The gold top was beautiful, Iguess I was just wondering if the Sunburst finish is really bad in person...maybe this would explain it's unpopularity an dlack of sales. Should I spend an extra 250 bucks on the Gold-Top or is the sunburst finish really beautiful and people are just out of their minds for not ordering it?? Any opinions? Anyone seen a sunburst in person?

Thanks

2. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Most of the JCS basses being "blown out" are seconds with minor flaws.The SB does look real nice though.It has however,along with the ebony finnish been discontinued.Perhaps due to lack of sales.Mines gold and its as pretty as it sounds.Good luck!

3. Hey, Bassarm

I have a Jack Casady Signature and it surpasses by far any expectationbs I had. In general I do not think the Epiphone versions of Gibson models compare favorably. For example I have a Gibson T-Bird. Just for the hell of it I tried out an Epiphone T-Bird. All they have in common is the body shape. There was absolutely no comparison in terms of finish, workmanship, tone, playability and features such as tuners, trim, etc. I can not understand why Gibson is allowing themselves to dilute their market like this. Its sad that unsuspecting musicians are buying the Epiphone versions on the basis of cost and probably not even trying out the real Gibson models. For the T-Bird, at least the difference in cost, while not small, is less than the greater quality of the Gibson version.

Thus it was with reluctance that I bought the J.C. The deal I got on it however was just too good to pass up. And if the bass was really worthless I could sell it easily for what I paid.

So, my extrememe surprise when the instrument arrived and I found it to equal any Gibson I have ever played. True, I have never play a Les Paul Signature bass (the J.C. prototype) however if the Epiphone T-Bird were as good I would not hesitate to recommened it over the Gibson on a dollar-for-dollar basis.

Now, color. I think the gold top is simply stunning (and the finish on my gold top is impeccable). In fact I do not know why the bass is available in other colors. Anyway on the cover to Hot Tuna's "And Furthermore" Jack is playing a sunburst version. I do not think it in any way compares with the gold top. They also make a version in ebony.

Look, go with the gold top. I did not know there was a difference in price but I have no doubt it is more than woth it.

Good luck.

s

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I don't own a JC bass, but I have owned several Gibson guitars over the last 20 years. I always thought ebony(black) looked great with the creme trim and binding. With ebony being cheaper than gold, it would be a no-brainer to go with ebony for me.

5. IMHO,the sunburst is breathtaking.The gold is nice to but my playing is bad enough without ppl saying "wow that guy with the gold bass really sucks!":rolleyes:

If you get one let me know what you think as the J.C. is on my wish list!I sunburst is sweet....the pic I saw was sunburst but with ebony on the edges *shwing!!*

Happy Hunting!

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own a JC Epi and a '74 Gibson Les Paul Signature. The Gibson is a stunner but the Epi holds its own admirably in terms of sound and playability. The differences are mainly in wood on the neck and back and, as the say, "in the details." IMO, the Epi JC is the best bass for the money currently on the market.